Toronto 10 St Mary | 197.73m | 60s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

Sure, but remember if they build a longer hallway off the elevator area that's square footage they can't sell. If they parcel out the units with an extra 3' x 10' hallway that's an extra 30' sqft, at $1200/sqft the builder just made an easy $36,000 on that unit.

Sure, but remember if they build a longer hallway off the elevator area that's square footage they can't sell. If they parcel out the units with an extra 3' x 10' hallway that's an extra 30' sqft, at $1200/sqft the builder just made an easy $36,000 on that unit.
Then price everything at $1220/sq ft, and have everyone pay their fair share of what should be common element area. I would never buy a unit that had higher sq footage just because of a ridiculously long internal hallway which would not only initially cost me more but would forever afterwards also cost more in monthly maintenance and annual taxes. Unless you have a million pieces of art to cover the walls of a long hallway, then sure, but otherwise every walk into and out of the unit would be a reminder of how you were taken for a fool when purchasing.

Unless you have a million pieces of art to cover the walls of a long hallway, then sure, but otherwise every walk into and out of the unit would be a reminder of how you were taken for a fool when purchasing.

I'm on the purchasing side of the equation and not the building side of the equation, so I agree that the whole thing is a terrible deal from the buyer's perspective. But if anyone is wondering what designer in their right mind would devote 100 sqft of a 450 sqft unit to a front foyer and entrance, that's the rationale right there. It's not some 4 year old with crayons haphazardly drawing lines on a floorplan, it's a builder trying to maximize sellable square footage.

UT article summarizing the revised design:

A single photo, taken February 1st, 2022:

Shows every business shuttered ahead of this project moving forward:

1643760853550.png

Confirmed, no demo permits applied for/issued as yet.

A single photo, taken February 1st, 2022:

Shows every business shuttered ahead of this project moving forward:

View attachment 378025

Confirmed, no demo permits applied for/issued as yet.
Unfortunate to have an entire section of Yonge completely dead for who knows how long. It's been like that for a few weeks now already. Hopefully something happens sooner than later.

^^^ That little building's safe from demolition, right?
I've always had a soft spot for it, especially when it housed the theatrical/special-effects/prosthetic make-up school (whatever it's called). Maybe the school's still there?

^^^ That little building's safe from demolition, right?
I've always had a soft spot for it, especially when it housed the theatrical/special-effects/prosthetic make-up school (whatever it's called). Maybe the school's still there?

Looks like the heritage facade (at minimum) will be retained. Bottom left in a rendering from an August 2021 UT story here.

45926-136312.jpg

Haven't seen much happening with this lately, although the block looks like it's been ready for crews for a while now.
Anyone know the plan for when they start?

Haven't seen much happening with this lately, although the block looks like it's been ready for crews for a while now.
Anyone know the plan for when they start?

Not sure.

Still no permits applied for........

There are also plans to launch sales for a 50-storey condo with more than 500 units at 85 St. Nicholas St., just west of Yonge Street and south of Bloor Street West in Toronto, late this year or early next year.

That project is working its way through the site plan approval process.

Back