Toronto The Dawes | 126.48m | 38s | Marlin Spring | Arcadis

According to my information, the developer has not yet formally approached the City about whether it is interested in assuming ownership of the building.

That seems remarkable to me.....if true.
Trolleybus is a bad developer so I am not at all surprised. The bad developers don't talk to the City before or during concept design and applications, and then complain when they don't like the outcome. It's ridiculous. Engage staff and work through the process together.

Updated renderings:

10 Dawes I.jpg

10 Dawes II.jpg

10 Dawes III.jpg

10 Dawes IV.jpg

The proposal (or wishful thinking) of the render where Dawes is redone entirely in interlocking pavers, seemingly as a pedestrian priority street is interesting and attractive.

The building itself doesn't look terrible. Actually, that's too harsh, I really like bits of it. But the way it relates to the heritage building still doesn't work for me; the podium/retail looks too short; and the way the balconies dominate the buildings south face w/clear glazing just doesn't work for me.

More setbacks, less boxy ... less of that concrete jungle scale. Retail doesn't make much sense. Podium townhouses would be a better fit

The proposed woonerf street along Dawes comes right from City Planning and their consultant on the Main Street Study. This will take some local Councilor leadership to convince Operations Staff, fund, then implement. Fingers crossed.

More setbacks, less boxy ... less of that concrete jungle scale. Retail doesn't make much sense. Podium townhouses would be a better fit

Agreed on the aesthetic; but I think retail might be workable here given the density of this proposal and the one directly across the road. Hundreds of units, and envisioned as a new eastern entrance to Danforth GO as well.

Though the streetscape becomes a prerequisite here in order for the retail to work.

Back