Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Is that De La Salle High School in the foreground of the first pic, Ottawan?
When the school is open, their grounds are open to the public. I once strolled inside and discovered that from their playing field you could take a great shot of the skyline (not as good as the shots above, at ground level the view is partially obscured by trees). There was some kind of sports activities at the field, and I chatted with the coach / instructor, who told me that the land south of the field where the Charbonnel townhomes now stand (they were in early stages of construction then) used to belong to the school, but they sold it to the developer.

Yesterday, in the right light this actually looks fine.
DD655BD2-EB30-4EF5-842E-A9EE5340D107.jpeg
32589311-76AF-494A-8439-6105DDC3AE85.jpeg
7BCC5EB4-72D3-4F94-A942-00B8C16E30C5.jpeg
41B73B4B-C5A3-4DD7-9911-51355E5ADD0F.jpeg

Ground level spandrel is obviously less than ideal but the "fins" stretching to the ground really helps this connect top-down.

Would be interesting to see some creeping vines (Well-maintained of course, as to not engulf the resident's windows) planted at the base of each of the crimping fins.

I'm terrible at landscape design though.

Anyone knows if the heritage facades have been restored and when they're going to unveil them? Last time I passed by, workers seemed to be replacing (not removing) the hoardings.

I'll say it again--I was just wrong about this building. It's better than I thought it'd be. But other posters are right, too: in overcast conditions, it looks grim. A degree of reflectivity on the vertical panels would have helped big time.

This tower would have looked incredible in a Corten steel-like orange colour, but I think they wanted to distinguish it more from the heritage buildings along Yonge Street in terms of colour.

Back