Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Ongoing work on the amenity level on the roof.
1BBA6A77-1468-4683-B25B-C215816BCD77.jpeg
FE09A248-C402-4B69-B361-DB56D1FB1A99.jpeg
EB7E7011-A529-451A-A5EF-BB80DE5E89E6.jpeg
B6F070FA-6901-43BF-B508-CAE081B89872.jpeg

Don't know why I am developing a hate-on for this project (it's tall and not complete), but the wiggly lines just seem a bit silly (and soon to feel out-dated)... kinda "look at me, I'm different". It might have worked but not sure how. The rest of the cladding certainly does nothing to prop up the whimsy... feels like a budget mistake, or just a mistake.

P.S. might have worked in "black"... lots more light play on the facets.

Don't know why I am developing a hate-on for this project (it's tall and not complete), but the wiggly lines just seem a bit silly (and soon to feel out-dated)... kinda "look at me, I'm different". It might have worked but not sure how. The rest of the cladding certainly does nothing to prop up the whimsy... feels like a budget mistake, or just a mistake.

P.S. might have worked in "black"... lots more light play on the facets.
The renderings looked far better than the actual....shaping up to be a 6.5 out of 10 IMO

Nice design. Builder cheaped out on the materials. Why even build something like this if you're going to value engineer the whole thing? The beauty is in the detailing and yet the builder said "eff it". Disappointing. 5.5/10

I see a lot of people criticize this magnificent tower. For me , it's one of the most beautiful tower being built in Toronto. The skyscraper is very expressive and unique by Toronto and Canada's standards and makes a nice duo with 1 Bloor East. The majority of buildings being built are boxy and are very boring to watch. But in 1 Yorkville, there are interesting and cool patterns to watch and it's a beautiful show for the eyes. It's one of my favorite skyscrapers in Canada and I will not change my mind.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why in our alternate universe city (Melbourne), like 95% of the projects are ambitious and high quality? They have a somewhat lower population, larger metropolitan area and are contructing almost the same number of highrises this year.
I ask because this project looked about half as good as any one of their highrises under construction, making it about the closest we got to them. But after the cheapening, it's probably about a quarter as good. For reference, https://skyrisecities.com/database/cities/melbourne

Back