Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

It's a great building.
But.
Every time I look at pictures, I just keep thinking what a shame it is that they used grey colored spandrel to fill in that one area instead of something the same color as the windows ... to create the illusion of windows.

It's a great building.
But.
Every time I look at pictures, I just keep thinking what a shame it is that they used grey colored spandrel to fill in that one area instead of something the same color as the windows ... to create the illusion of windows.
And what colour exactly are windows?

While I don’t necessarily agree with the grey used, the given time of day and both direct and ambient light means whatever colour is used will likely stand out. Black spandrels on a bright day will look funny. At least the grey matches the metal.

While they could’ve used something with a glass surface, the underlying colour would still look funny at some times of day. Regular windows with a gap would certainly look (somewhat) better, but that just means wasted—Yorkville priced—floor space. Having [whatever is behind those panels] flush with the facade is likely a concession made by the architects at the behest of the developer. Maybe Bazis/Plaza pushed hard for a floorplan that would require a dramatic change at the cost of Varacalli’s vision, and this was the only way to satisfy both. Sometimes there’re just no perfect concessions, hence the adage, “A compromise is an agreement whereby both sides get what neither of them wanted.” I certainly don’t see either developer or architect thinking that this was ideal.

Ideal would be to have architecture free of bureaucracy and compromise, but until architects start funding projects themselves, that ain’t gonna happen.

It would obviously add to cost, but I have to imagine they could do a faux window all the way up that single very narrow area.
Again, the building is very nice, so my comment is really just thinking about how it could be even better.

It would obviously add to cost, but I have to imagine they could do a faux window all the way up that single very narrow area.
Again, the building is very nice, so my comment is really just thinking about how it could be even better.
I understand, it just seems like every third post around here is people complaining about the colour of the spandrels, with little thought to the reality and complexitites of building a multimillion dollar property. It’s a little tiring.

I think it is also worth repeating that within the next few years those spandrel bits, as well as the entire south facade, will be mainly obscured by Eight Cumberland...

Last edited:

Back