Toronto

1 Yorkville | 183m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

felix123

Member Bio
Reaction score
The last thing the windows add is a "clean" element. They could have looked clean had they dispensed with the waist-height mullions, but with that added horizontal line breaking up every level you start to get the cage effect. They have no doubt spent so much on the finials, however, that more costly, higher quality windows were ruled out. Too bad.

It's junctionist's opinion against yours. Unfortunately, I have decided that your opinion is the incorrect one. There is no appeals process - you're just wrong. Sorry :D

zang

Member Bio
Reaction score
I feel that had the mullions been there in the renders, few here would bat an eye at them now. Very few buildings ever look exactly like their renders (One Bloor East notwithstanding), let alone close. 1 Yorkville seems to be delivering a lot (though not all) of what it promised. And that’s better than more than half of what’s put up in this city.

Last edited:

Yegger

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed, don't know why they'd use that colour over a darker shade. I get Tridel-suburban-condo vibes looking at closeups of the glass.
They could've also used the "fins" to cover the areas that is currently being treated by grey spandrel but I guess this is a value-engineering solution. Overall, I'm still pleased that this tower offers something different. Yorkville's building inventory is turning out to be much less monotonous (see grey and black glass box) and varied than downtown and especially cityplace - which i'll admit is a low bar to compare with.

jje1000

Member Bio
Reaction score
They could've also used the "fins" to cover the areas that is currently being treated by grey spandrel but I guess this is a value-engineering solution. Overall, I'm still pleased that this tower offers something different. Yorkville's building inventory is turning out to be much less monotonous (see grey and black glass box) and varied than downtown and especially cityplace - which i'll admit is a low bar to compare with.
The fins came out exactly as they appeared in the renderings- which was an exciting breath of fresh air in a city where interesting architectural elements get flattened and diluted for buildability and cost.

It's just a huge shame that the same quality isn't there for the glass and the base cladding- same happened to the L-Tower, an unorthodox design diminished in its cladding.

TheKingEast

Member Bio
Reaction score
Had to go see this thing in person. The exposed concrete is BAFFLING! Just terrible. Also not a fan of the materials. Cool design with cheap materials. What's the point? Go hard or go home. I would have taken a good quality glass box here.