Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Other than being old, does anyone know if there is any historic value to these buildings that are being saved from demolition?

Other than being old, does anyone know if there is any historic value to these buildings that are being saved from demolition?

From the March Toronto Preservation Board Meeting:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2015.PB3.9

Enjoy!

In any case, beyond just the historical argument -shouldn't the aesthetic pleasure of these structures also constitute an argument for saving them from demolition? We have seen what proper restoration can do in 5ive.

AoD

True, but IMO, not all of them are sight to behold to being with, as the merit checklists for each building suggests...The corner one in particular looks like a 70s hackjob to save a crumbling structure.
I would probably just save the façade of the buildings and just transplant it onto new structures to save the headache of engineering around 150 year old wood and brick

True, but IMO, not all of them are sight to behold to being with, as the merit checklists for each building suggests...The corner one in particular looks like a 70s hackjob to save a crumbling structure.
I would probably just save the façade of the buildings and just transplant it onto new structures to save the headache of engineering around 150 year old wood and brick

Facadism is probably what they will be doing in any case. As to the worth of each building - "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" - it's the unity of the streetscape by all the individual buildings that creates a sense of place.

AoD

Which building on the left? I believe the structures involved in this project or on the previous page, and they are worth preserving!

absolutely - that's an awesome row of brick buildings! in the render it shows them all restored as red brick which looks even more promising!

Sept 18

Back