Toronto 1 Sumach | 120m | 35s | Block | gh3

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about the cube house? Like, it’s cool. But I just don’t care what happens to it personally. It has had its moment that has now passed.
I think you may be one of the few. It is unique, experimental architecture that has been in the same location in Corktown for decades. For many people, it is a symbol of reentering downtown Toronto from the east side. It's certainly more interesting to look at than 95% of the buildings in the city. So yeah, I'd say it's worth some effort for preservation.

Of course, nobody can make you care about something on a personal level.

I'll add, they're also unique in that they are a rare exception that it's bargain basement cladding didn't distract from the overall structure.

...either way, they are very much worth saving, IMO.

I'll add, they're also unique in that they are a rare exception that it's bargain basement cladding didn't distract from the overall structure.

...either way, they are very much worth saving, IMO.
25 years after they were built, and these three houses still look like this…

CubeHouses.jpg

Google Street View

…with nothing but some graffitied, whitewashed plywood at ground level to visually assault visitors and passersby. Anyone loving these over the last quarter century, unfortunately, has not loved them enough to affect any substantial improvement in all that time: at ground level, these have been eyesores forever, not one sou having been spent on fixing up the entrance area nor the landscaping.

No inside knowledge of this, but I assume that Markee would let them go to whomever would simply pay to disassemble them and cart them away, and I hope whomever did that would also have the money to re-erect them on a worthier plinth…

…but just get them outta here, please, and let's move on! This proposal appears to be a more-than-worthy replacement.

I get that. But I prefer they would be rebuilt in a more appropriate lot. And rebuilt with much, much better materials.

...that said, my point still remains. That is, they are the rare exception of a building that survived crap cladding choices.

This also doesn't mean that Concord or Canderel should be constructing their buildings at 45 degree angles to distract from their questionable cladding choices either. >.<

Last edited:
What are all those white vertical slats? I can't imagine looking out and seeing that. Prison like. Very bizarre.

Hemmed in by cars; the service depot at the SW corner, Infiniti parking to the north, and the overpasses which "one day" might be a grimy public space similar to the nearby Underpass Park. Very Toronto.

Back