Toronto Yonge and Scollard | 167.5m | 49s | Cityzen | KPMB

The bowl is a distraction from that fsi of 37. This will get chopped.

The bowl is fun though. Can we drop it at the neglected parkette at Belmont & Yonge instead?

Great idea! The bowl would look great right at the northeast corner of Yonge and Belmont. I really don't mind the present parkette.

Why do developers propose buildings when they know the City will reject them in their initial form? I like this tower as is, but we all know the City will have issues with shadowing and tapering of building heights. It must be costly to have delays in the approval process that you can mitigate against by proposing something you know will pass easier.

The only explanation I can think of is that developers have a lot on the go and don't plan on building it for a while, so they can afford a lengthy approval process.

Developers build in cost assumptions related to development timeline considerations because they've all seen how the process works in Toronto (which mostly mirrors that of other big, growing cities).

This is an oversimplification, but essentially they ask for more than they know they'll get because they know (especially in this neighbourhood) that there's going to be opposition regardless of what height they propose. So, if the minimum profit they expect to make on a development mandates that they build a 25-storey tower, they're not going to start with 25 (or even 30 or 35) because they know a subset is going to be pissed even at the 25. The same logic applies at higher tower heights, as well - if you need 25, want 65, and are just fine with 50, then you still start the ask at 65. Like I said, that's not perfectly accurate, but it's a distilled version thereof.

Also, with large developers, it's often the case that their available funding isn't tied to a particular project - there are contingency funds, myriad facilities with different lenders, etc. With the obvious and occasional blow-ups aside, most developers are intimately aware of the process and the costs associated, and have manufactured their business and financing practices around those realities.

Yorkville is getting some really nice proposals. I like this one very much- No hideous mech. penthouse. No clunky podium. Very modern and sophisticated. Well done KPMB & Cityzen!

I just love how incredibly thin this building will be from the east and west. It's impressive to see development of this scale and design quality on such a small parcel.

I see this one going through with ease, its a great over all fit in... Though hieght I'm not sure of. Neat design!

Why do developers propose buildings when they know the City will reject them in their initial form? I like this tower as is, but we all know the City will have issues with shadowing and tapering of building heights. It must be costly to have delays in the approval process that you can mitigate against by proposing something you know will pass easier.

The only explanation I can think of is that developers have a lot on the go and don't plan on building it for a while, so they can afford a lengthy approval process.

Would you propose a building that's 3.0 FSI (the current zoning for the site)?

"Planning staff recommends that the application be refused. This proposed tower is too tall and the site is too small to accommodate the proposal. The proposal does not fit within the existing and planned context for the Bloor-Yorkville and North Midtown Area."

Back