Toronto 1 Eglinton East | 211.25m | 65s | Davpart | Hariri Pontarini

It'll never truly dissapear - just get tougher. You can already see it spreading further - out towards spadina, etc.

Financial Core will just see larger and larger office buildings demoed for even bigger ones. Sort of like in NYC and what is happening around Grand Central. That and developers will start to get creative, think along the lines of Commerce Court III.

Also, my understanding is that Bloor-Yonge isn't far off from the market fundamentals needed for new construction space. Cresford is actually building some new space right now in CASA III, and is doing so willingly (i.e. the city didn't make them do it). It's an office condo, so sort of non-traditional, but it is market driven new construction space.

The emphasis on office condo is condo. May be better to call them non specific commercial condos so that there isn't any confusion.

Don't forget all the office space planned for East Harbour...

They need tenants which so many past East Harbours never could overcome. I won't consider this a solid proposal until several towers are ready to break ground.

They need tenants which so many past East Harbours never could overcome. I won't consider this a solid proposal until several towers are ready to break ground.

With the GO Station construction planned to be complete in Q4 2021 (Sign located on the old soap factory building), I'm pretty sure this is a go.
I can assure you it's a go and many things happening in the background that are not public.

With the GO Station construction planned to be complete in Q4 2021 (Sign located on the old soap factory building), I'm pretty sure this is a go.
I can assure you it's a go and many things happening in the background that are not public.
Amazon?

Condos are having no problem doing that. I'm sure they'd be building office here if the economics were favourable but clearly they are not.
The thing I am left wondering is...

Are offices in this area not economically favourable?

Or is it that condos are just very profitable at the moment?

The thing I am left wondering is...

Are offices in this area not economically favourable?

Or is it that condos are just very profitable at the moment?
The expansion of the Yonge Eglinton Centre office towers is not proceeding, so that's a potential clue.

Generally this node; Like Yonge and St. Clair - have a decent amount of demand (vacancy rates are low) but only a the right price (that is the rental rate tenants are changed) and this is what's prohibitive to new builds and even major renovations.

The problem (which if anything has gotten worse over the years and will likely continue doing so) is the fact that downtown (and this extends beyond the financial core) is in very high demand by many companies for an assortment of reasons.
There has been a lot of talk of companies relocating from the 905 to downtown, and while that has happened and may continue to do so, the same is true (if not even more so) for companies located in Y&E area. The worst hit area for this as of late is actually NYCC, where several companies have or are in the process of relocating downtown.

For the near future it's hard to imagine any new development in these nodes as long as new builds keep going up downtown (implying that demand remains strong) ... and that has a ripple effect as it frees space in older downtown building (often that have been or are in the process of renovation) so this cycle repeats.

A Case Management Conference is scheduled for April 1, 2019: https://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL180747

Gee?... 4 years ago and still awaiting a decision or resolution:confused:, could easily be 10 years before we see something fully built at that corner

1 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District
Proposal for a 68 storey mixed use building containing office retail and 662 residential units and 6 levels of underground parking
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 14 266776 STE 22 OZ Dec 22, 2014 Under Review

Last edited:
It's safe to say this is a rezoning investment and they probably have no intention to build in the near term if at all. The residential, at least, should end up developed by someone else It's just wasting tears to cry over the planning process here.

Back