Toronto 1 Eglinton East | 211.25m | 65s | Davpart | Hariri Pontarini

Reading the comments about the existing building at 1 Eglinton East is most amusing. When developed, this was basically an inexpensive, throw-away building, for which the developer at the time did not apply for a single variance. It was the maximum that could be built at the time, on an 'as of right' basis, completely withing the existing zoning bylaws and restrictions - in other words (mine), to provide a holding income until something 'real' could be done with the site. The developer did not apply for either a Zoning Bylaw Amendment (ZBA) or a Variance that I was aware of (I was on the Board of an area neighbourhood residents association at the time - so if there was one, I shouild have known - and I asked).

It is amazing what a few years, and growing familiar with what has been in place since, can colour perceptions of an existing building.

Given the background - there is nothing intrinsically historic, or even outstandingly esthetic about the current building. If Davpart and HPA can come up with a comparatively pleasing podium / street level presence for the proposed building - why should elements of the existing structure be maintained - even if it is what people have become familiar with over the past few years?

It's mainly the fact that they used a high-quality cladding material that is distinctive and rare today. That's why some suggested reusing it in the new building.

I think this project is probably pushing for supertall status. And it doesn't hurt to see the old marble tower's facade incorporated into this project as a podium .

Huh? Pushing for supertall status? Based on what info?

If this project fails to move ahead in the next five years or more. They might want to reenter this development by adding more height. Remember it's at an important intersection that splits the city to the East and West and to North and South. And this development is centered right in the middle of it all like The One development! If it's a supertall or so it would nice to see a revolving dining area to view the city at 360 degree around. As the new development around the city get built !
In other words, this is pure speculation on your part.

I think this project is probably pushing for supertall status. And it doesn't hurt to see the old marble tower's facade incorporated into this project as a podium .
The tallest building in the area is right on this intersection, across the street from this proposal (E condos). That one was built very recently and I don't think dynamics have changed so fast that 1 Eglinton East will get an approval for 300 meters.

Although, I don't mind having super talls at this intersection. It is after all at the crossroads of one and a half subway lines. But at 300 m, it will be more than a half taller than the tallest in this area and it will be met by resistance.

I can imagine upcoming buildings to be named like - The Only One, That's The One, The I-am-telling-you-that's-the-absolute-one.

There can only be The One...

...and that threads over there. --->

Edit/Retraction: There was no need for me to say that in the latter portion of my post. Sorry. :(

Last edited:
I can imagine upcoming buildings to be named like - The Only One, That's The One, The I-am-telling-you-that's-the-absolute-one.

Or perhaps less ambitiously......"The Other One"; or "The One, Two"

It's granite, by the way, and not marble as the OP stated.

That will have to be taken for granite. It would have been a marble if it were clad in the remains of Palaeozoic coral and seashells that underwent intense heat and pressure over millions of years.

Back