Toronto 1 Eglinton East | 211.25m | 65s | Davpart | Hariri Pontarini

View attachment 198326

I can't understand why they want to tear this rich red marble facade building down in the photo above. At least keep the facade and build on top. The red marble dark windows would compliment the dark green condo facade above it that is being proposed.
You have to cite photo sources or posts face deletion

ohh..... he was talking about this comment on the previous page. sorry forgot to delete my comment.
The 1 Eglinton East project has already been fully approved by the City.

It was the two neighbouring property owners to the south who had appealed to LPAT - which has now been dismissed. So unless these two property owners try to apply for relief from the courts (probably highly unlikely at this point, given the LPAT findings - does not seem to leave them much of a leg to stand on), the only things left to 'approve' should be the building permits (including demolition permit for the existing structure) and the final site plan agreement.

When will the No.1 be built and it is settled here.
IMG_0270.JPG

Are there any updates on this building?
People post updates when there are updates, especially when the proposals are as large and potentially prominent as this one is here.

When members arrive at a thread and don't find an update, just a question, they consider the question an unnecessary thread bump,

If the Canada Square proposal is approved as is (tallest tower >250 m), this will probably be a shoe-in.
I think this project is probably pushing for supertall status. And it doesn't hurt to see the old marble tower's facade incorporated into this project as a podium .

Reading the comments about the existing building at 1 Eglinton East is most amusing. When developed, this was basically an inexpensive, throw-away building, for which the developer at the time did not apply for a single variance. It was the maximum that could be built at the time, on an 'as of right' basis, completely within the existing zoning bylaws and restrictions - in other words (mine), to provide a holding income until something 'real' could be done with the site. The developer did not apply for either a Zoning Bylaw Amendment (ZBA) or a Variance that I was aware of (I was on the Board of an area neighbourhood residents association at the time - so if there was one, I should have known - and I asked).

It is amazing what a few years, and growing familiar with what has been in place since, can colour perceptions of an existing building.

Given the background - there is nothing intrinsically historic, or even outstandingly aesthetic about the current building. If Davpart and HPA can come up with a comparatively pleasing podium / street level presence for the proposed building - why should elements of the existing structure be maintained - even if it is what people have become familiar with over the past few years?

Last edited:
Huh? Pushing for supertall status? Based on what info?
If this project fails to move ahead in the next five years or more. They might want to reenter this development by adding more height. Remember it's at an important intersection that splits the city to the East and West and to North and South. And this development is centered right in the middle of it all like The One development! If it's a supertall or so it would nice to see a revolving dining area to view the city at 360 degree around. As the new development around the city get built !

Back