Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

No problem, could not resist taking pictures while at dinner with friends. I can just imagine what these buildings will look like if they add lighting to each roof! It would certainly stand out in the skyline, fingers crossed.

To be fair, if they were going to light up the crown of Commerce Court North, there would be very few angles from which to enjoy it. Not to mention the complaints they would receive from 1King West's tenants.

To be fair, if they were going to light up the crown of Commerce Court North, there would be very few angles from which to enjoy it. Not to mention the complaints they would receive from 1King West's tenants.

It actually was lit up many decades ago:

6243520952_81b15cf22e_o.jpg

Source: thecharioteer at Urban Toronto

Tell that to the operators of Commerce Court North.

During the three decades that the Canadian Bank of Commerce building spent as the tallest building in the British Commonwealth, lighting it up made a lot of sense. Now that it's pretty much surrounded, it doesn't make quite as much sense, but judicious use of lights could still look great on it, sure. Down at Ãce however, those towers are not surrounded - yet. Lighting is coming.

PS: thanks for that photo Ramako. Would I ever love to get my hands on a Wayback Machine to visit that city.

I love looking at old Toronto skyline pics and seeing Commerce Court North lit up along with the Royal York. Makes me wish they had built it at least 20 stories higher, that way we'd be able to see it a bit more amongst the sea of modern day skyscrapers and they could continue to light it up at night. Thanks for posting that pic Ramako! I'm looking forward to seeing the Swiss cheese roofs of these two towers illuminated at night!

During the three decades that the Canadian Bank of Commerce building spent as the tallest building in the British Commonwealth, lighting it up made a lot of sense. Now that it's pretty much surrounded, it doesn't make quite as much sense, but judicious use of lights could still look great on it, sure. Down at Ãce however, those towers are not surrounded - yet. Lighting is coming.

PS: thanks for that photo Ramako. Would I ever love to get my hands on a Wayback Machine to visit that city.

Why are you so sure that Ice is going to be lit up just because it stands above everything in its vicinity? Why isn't the crown of Shangri-La lit up then (the profile lighting doesn't count). And thanks for the photo Ramako. I'm aware that Commerce Court North used to be lit, and it still should be (same goes for the Royal York's crown), regardless of its height (compared to the taller towers in the CBD). What does it say about us when we refuse to light up two of our greatest architectural achievements? There are dozens of grand structures in Toronto that need lighting at night. Imagine how great Spadina would look with these beauties lit up on either side of the street: http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=2659 & http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=1561. Toronto must be the only city in the developed world that neglects these things for such beautiful buildings. Does no one have any clue about the importance of illuminating such grand architecture? I can't figure out why this is so overlooked in this town.

Last edited:
I don't know how nice or how ugly the units are from inside but from outside the building looks really nice.

IMG_2830.jpg
IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2872.jpg
IMG_2878.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,929
  • IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,060
  • IMG_2872.jpg