Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

You guys are hilarious with the wild stereotypes.

Sometimes it's about acceptable tradeoffs - someone might decide they'd rather live right in the downtown core in a stylish building with a great view, and perhaps a smaller than typical sink. Now, this isn't some bar sink - it's just a small sized regular sink. You may be surprised, but you can wash pots in it. My sink is only marginally bigger and I can wash a roasting pan in it. Granted, it can't lay down flat, but it can be maneuvered around.

Some people prefer to just toss everything in the dishwasher. With the smaller one you'll have to run it every day, basically, but it's definitely possible.

I wouldn't do that for fear I'd ruin my dishes, but not everyone is just like me.

I believe tableau has this. You're right, though. They build these linear kitchens right smack dab in the middle of the living room. At least build a door to cover up the kitchen. Who wants to be sitting right next to a stove and some dirty dishes?

Worst thing about this is I've seen 1000sqft units with 2 bedrooms and a tiny linear kitchen. Are we really headed this way?

If I had to have a linear kitchen I'd rather have something with an island to break up the space a bit like this:

2554.jpg

But I get that this type of design may not be practical for a smaller space.

No, not practical when your apartment only has one room called live/dine/cook - and a small bedroom.

Nobody will want to live in these little places for long - they will still have to move to the suburbs if they want a yard - or a separate kitchen.

There are 1-bedroom condos in the core at comparable prices with separate kitchens and a little more space. I live in one. They're often in older buildings that may not look as nice or have the same level of amenities as the newer condos, and the decor is often dated, but they're worth looking at if you find the kitchens in the newer/smaller condos inadequate. You don't need to move to the suburbs for that.

The size of the units is obviously a non-issue. The demand is way too high for it to be a problem anytime soon.
Plus the more people we cram downtown, the less space we are stealing from natural habitats around the country.

That's a little short sighted I think. If they offered different types of units suiting different types of people/families they'd prevent even more people from moving to the burbs and chewing up even more valuable land.

No, not practical when your apartment only has one room called live/dine/cook - and a small bedroom.

Nobody will want to live in these little places for long - they will still have to move to the suburbs if they want a yard - or a separate kitchen.

I'd take an island in a kitchen over a linear kitchen any day no matter how cramped the unit is. As far as wanting a yard. I think that dream has fallen by the wayside for a lot of people.

I have no doubt of it. The arms that hold up the, let's call it a lid, are not just thin, they're reasonably reflective, and therefore blend away to nothing at a distance.

wow this first pic is a great capture. the perspective really hides any of the buildings/density to the north, and the cropping hides anything that makes it unrecognizable as anything from Toronto.

I do think the floating effect is cool, but I wish the cheese slab was a bit thicker and more prominent from a distance (albeit it may have collapsed under its own weight if it were)

no one can ever say that this thing looks cheap. look at the quality. look at that glass on the mechanical. its just perfect. :cool:

Back