Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234m | 67s | Lanterra | architectsAlliance

T.0.isthebest

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sold out doesn't mean that people bought in full. In a development this big (1200+ units) I'm sure there will be more than one person who can't close on their unit. Nevertheless, good to hear the project is on schedule.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say: "....bought in full". It's my experience that most, if not all of the pre-construction developments in Toronto required purchasers to put a deposit of 15-25% toward the purchase price until the project is completed, with the transaction coming to an end only when Title is transferred. In light of such a process, it isn't possible to 'buy in full' as the property has yet to be completed.

I think you are correct in saying that there will be some purchasers who can't close their units upon completion due to personal circumstance. However, AKS' comments above are correct in that the developer can seize the deposits, re-sell the unit, and/or sue the purchaser for the shortfall (if any).

With this particular project, I don't think the builder will have any difficulty re-selling a unit within days if they had too from a defaulted buyer.

AKS

Member Bio
Reaction score
PDI`s start end of June for tower 1
Is Ice 1 and 2 closing together or separately? Otherwise, Ice 1 occupants will be paying phantom rent for a year or longer. It doesn't look like Ice 2 is ready for occupancy until late next year.

T.0.isthebest

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is Ice 1 and 2 closing together or separately? Otherwise, Ice 1 occupants will be paying phantom rent for a year or longer. It doesn't look like Ice 2 is ready for occupancy until late next year.
The developer recently informed purchasers that this project will be closed as one single corporation, which means that ICE I purchasers may very well have to deal with the Phantom Rent issue longer than those who purchased in ICE 2. That said, detailed in their ICE Newsletter #9 (May 2014), the developer informed purchasers on the progress of the interior finishes, which seemed to indicate that they were moving at a pretty steady pace overall, despite what seems to be happening outside.

I think that this pair of buildings will be completed on time, and registered relatively quickly.

Condo George

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ice 1 lower floors Occupancy Sept 2014
Ice 2 lower floors Occupancy Feb 2015

Mongo

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought I would put up this map I did of current, proposed and under construction tall buildings, including the Ice buildings at 768 feet and 663 feet, in the extended Southcore region (rail line to waterfront, Lower Simcoe to Freeland). The grey circles are completed buildings, the green circles are under construction, and the blue circles are proposed towers. I am using feet to indicate height instead of meters, for no particular reason, and have set the lower height limit at 300 feet. I used the SSP diagram information for the heights.

The obvious missing projects are those for 45 Bay (probably several talls, possibly including a supertall) and 60 Harbour (I'm guessing a taller residential point tower and a shorter Southcore-style office tower). I would also expect something big to replace the structure east of Bay between Harbour and Queen's Quay, possibly with two towers. I also used the current height for the Toronto Star tower without including the proposed height increase.

Last edited:

4grand

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was against these towers for a long while, but I must say they have turned out very nicely and are a great addition to the skyline, especially driving along the Gardiner Parking Lot.

Thankfully, they were built after the Green Glass craze and act as a temper to the ubiquity of emerald in that small area.

EDIT: Any building that takes the time to finish of their roof line (unlike X Condo, among many others) and make it aesthetically pleasing and able to tie into the design of the towers, is fine by me.