Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Heard from a real estate broker friend of mine that everything on the Toronto market south of Front Street is selling 2 to 1 compared to the rest of the city. Is there any truth about that information.:confused:

well the market is really trying to eat up all of the inventory and developers want to see if this rebound is solid.

When that happens we will start to see a lot more developments come out...

Not downtown very short supply of land.
There will be a limited # of new releases going forward and it will have a drastic impact on prices

This rebound is here to stay and price points have a long way to go up

Well there are few areas that are just big wide empty swaths of land left downtown...

mostly it will now be taken established areas and developing them.

New areas have emerged like around the area where the Festival tower is going up. Usually all the vibe use to stay on Queen Street and King Street, but a lot of those smaller streets are getting full of new nice buildings. Really should create a nice livable neighborhood...

Tons of parking lot and land ready to be develop in that area and then the whole East Side of downtown is just full of areas.

I think a ton of smaller projects will come on board soon.

Really downtown is just screaming for more 8-15 story developments...

This rebound is here to stay and price points have a long way to go up

From a long term perspective, 10 - 15 years and longer, you are absolutely right. Prices here are quite depressed compared to global cities of the same size and stature. Many smaller global cities have prices much higher than Toronto...

From a long term perspective, 10 - 15 years and longer, you are absolutely right. Prices here are quite depressed compared to global cities of the same size and stature. Many smaller global cities have prices much higher than Toronto...

Dont tell that to people here that have already missed the boat, they are still waiting for the modern day depression in order to invest.:rolleyes:

Many smaller global cities have prices much higher than Toronto

True but, their prices are also imploding. Toronto's wages are also below average for a world city. I just don't see the upward continuing well into the forseeable future. It's not a good thing for Toronto either unless you're heavily invested. The price increases have exceeded inflation for years now. I don't buy the arguement either that downtown Toronto is running out of space. There's a ton of space for 100,000's of units at the densities we've been seeing.

Well, look at the statistics and numbers that speak louder than words or guesses, alot of people have listened to negativity for years and have missed out on the biggest waves up I have seen in years. Trump fell many times, but successful people learn from each fall, they never give up after the first fall and they never have a stop sign in front of them before their first move. Its a risk, I am glad I was not holding the bag on this wave up.:D

There are also numbers that show record low interest rates and massive unemployment, all indicative of a housing bubble. I'm not saying that I think the real estate market will crater - I'm no economist - but the fact is that the numbers can be read in many different ways and it's a bit too early to be 'lol'ing.

Thanks for that report CondoGeorge. Lots of good reasons to laugh there.
While I would also certainly take that article with a grain of salt (well, many)... I think the people who really deserve to be laughed at are the ones who expected the sky to fall and prices to drop back to $300/sqft etc etc.

To be fair here ... it depends what you consider downtown.

The core core really doesn't have much in the way left - areas directory to the south east and west do, however. But this can apply to any North American city for the most part ... well, less Boston, San Francisco, and New York.

I agree with taal on this -- the only potential future central core developments I can think of off the top of my head are the former Sapphire site, now owned by an Israeli development consortium (haven't heard from them in some time though, I hope they are still going ahead) and the long-inactive Richmond-Adelaide proposal. Oh, and the second and third phases of the Bay-Adelaide project, too.

Whereas the 'South Core' district still has the 45 Bay site (apparently with a 50-storey office tower in the works), the Fairmont hotel possibility west of the PWHC tower (approved for 37 storeys, I bet it goes taller), the 120 Harbour site, which the City suggests is good for a 50-storey (residential) or 30-storey (office) project, and the Success 2 residential tower (capped for now, but approved for 46 storeys). So about the same additional development potential (not counting the 16 York project) in a significantly smaller area.

Last edited:
There's a few other parking lots available not mentioned. The one where Ritz Carleton's presentation centre is located (Front & simcoe). Also there's still the lot in front of the sky dome. And between University, Queen, King, and John St, there's a lot of old buildings and parking lots.

Back