Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Image from @Mostafa.de.la.ayad on Instagram:

15625211_206898446447393_2807986336076660736_n.jpg
Great picture!

Have you asked Lanterra about who is going to be occupying the retail on York st?
I have - the retail space is not the doing of Lanterra, they built and maintain the building - Cadillac Fairview is managing the real estate of the retail space. I have not reached out to CF. I spoke to the management office last month and they are not sure either who might the tenants be. Thinking ahead, 16 York, phase 3 of York Centre I'm sure will add to the retail space once built. Perhaps CF is waiting on securing tenants of that tower and also the retail in ICE at the same time.

Some of the retail spaces in Ïce will be a little more valuable once the PATH link to Maple Leaf Square goes in (last I heard the dig is supposed to be this summer). That'll give Ïcers weatherproof access to Longo's at least.

Some of the retail spaces in Ïce will be a little more valuable once the PATH link to Maple Leaf Square goes in (last I heard the dig is supposed to be this summer). That'll give Ïcers weatherproof access to Longo's at least.

Back when I was living there last year that York st jay walk was a pretty regular thing for me to get to Longos. Just as it was for all the other tenants. The PATH extension would do wonders but the crappy part is taking the escalators 2 stories up to get through MLS garden and toward union station. That might still make the retail at Ice a little unappealing until the Office portion is built and the retail spaces have regular business.

I agree re: the escalator business. Across York Street between Ïce and Maple Leaf Square, PATH should be a bridge, since that's how you have to exit it at the east end. The City is nuts if they want PATH to work as a viable pedestrian network but think that people will be happy to shift up or down every building or so. While PATH is petering out as off Ïce (and ends ingloriously at Infinity), it's still not a sound policy if you want to draw people into the system.

Besides the policy, the practicality of building the York tunnel means that we're faced with a complete shutdown of York Street between Bremner and Lake Shore for four months while the tunnel is dug. Apparently it's going to be concurrent with the take-down of the Gardiner offramp to York-Bay-Yonge, so since the area will already be a traffic nightmare, you might as well pile on and get it all done at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's way down the priority list (or has it been permanently scrapped?), but if York is going to be completely shut down for four months I wish they'd also take care of the work under York that would eventually need to get done for a Bremner LRT tunnel. I'm almost positive the box for it is already under Telus, and I believe it also runs under the ACC's Galleria. I know we're easily a decade away from it showing up on the planning radar (need to figure out what to do with the Union loop first, and the Waterfront East LRT is more important), but if the road is going to be closed for months anyway it seems like a relatively painless time to deal with it.

I know it's way down the priority list (or has it been permanently scrapped?), but if York is going to be completely shut down for four months I wish they'd also take care of the work under York that would eventually need to get done for a Bremner LRT tunnel. I'm almost positive the box for it is already under Telus, and I believe it also runs under the ACC's Galleria. I know we're easily a decade away from it showing up on the planning radar (need to figure out what to do with the Union loop first, and the Waterfront East LRT is more important), but if the road is going to be closed for months anyway it seems like a relatively painless time to deal with it.
You do realise you are living in Toronto? Here we have no $$ for things that are (almost universally) wanted and are actually on a priority list for the next year or so and we certainly have none for projects that are so far down the priorities as to be virtually invisible. (In fact, if the Bremner streetcar ever happens - which seems increasingly unlikely - it will probably be tunnelled at least to Simcoe so traffic on York would be reasonably unaffected.)

Sent an email today to Cadillac Fairview asking them on any info of tenants secured for the retail space at ice. Hopefully they have a list of some!

Back