News   Apr 19, 2024
 788     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Top 5 Spots on a Subway

andomano

Member Bio
Reaction score
Found this while surfing. It's a little dated, but still worth the read.

http://www.onelittlecog.com/2008/04/19/top-5-spots-on-a-subway-a-glance-at-how-we-sit-and-stand/

Top 5 Spots on a Subway: A Glance at How We Sit and Stand

The timing of this has nothing to do with the upcoming TTC strike, I’ve been pondering about how people behave on the subway for some time and this was really good coincidental timing.

ttc-subway-car.jpg

Interior of TTC Subway Car Graphic by MovingGraphics.ca

I’ve always been curious about how and why we sit where we do on the subway. So I decided to take the time to observe myself and others and see how we behave — perhaps even speculate on why. This is by no means academic or scientific (so don’t expect accuracy!), but rather an amusing look at our own habits as we commute.
subway_ttc.jpg

TTC Seating PriorityI’ve analyzed how I sit and stand, determined my reasoning:

1. This is the top-of-the-line seat. This type of seat would be at the top of my list. Why? I like to sleep on the subway and there’s nothing worse than people bumping into you as they are moving past you while you are trying to get some shuteye. There’s plenty of leg space as well so your legs aren’t as cramped.

Pros: Sleep. Sleep. Uninterrupted Sleep. Maybe read on the rare occasion. Some allowance for personal space. Very good leg room! You can actually stretch!

Cons: Sitting next to you maybe… some inconsiderate bulky commuters. Commuters who like to knit and swing their elbows outwards. Commuters who like to dig into their bags and simultaneously maneuver arms into your sides causing you to jump — esp. if you’re ticklish. Commuters who like spreading apart their legs or pressing their leg up against your leg — sometimes even bouncing the leg (please just stop).

2. When my top choice is out, I turn to corner seating where I can keep out of the way from the folks who like to stand really close and have their bags swing at me.

Pros: Potential for uninterrupted sleep of course. Possible reading time.

Cons: Similar case to number one. Only less leg room for stretching and increase chance of someone jabbing you with their elbow.

3. If number two just ain’t happening, then I guess I’ll have to settle for the somewhat hazardous seat (especially when dozing off). It is pretty ideal for commuters who like to read. This is often the case when I am commuting home.

Pros: Some potential for sleep or reading. Good when exhausted after long day. Easier to exit subway car.

Cons: TTC seats tend to be small. To be considerate to neighbour, usually sitting on half to three-quarters of seat to leave some personal space. Commuters with free-swinging bags, large backpacks, or newspapers tend to like to stick really close to the pole where they hold on (also close to you). Be aware of the odd object bonking you on the head.

4. If the middle-outside seats (#3) aren’t available then I may just settle for the end-of-the-car-outside seat. I prefer not to take these as people tend to like to lean against the door at the end of each car and your personal space is somewhat compromised.

Pros: It’s a seat. Enjoy it. Sleep, read, whatever. Decent leg room.

Cons: The occasional commuter who leans against the edge of the door at the end of the subway car sometimes decides to spread their newspaper on your head.

Standing Density within a Subway Car
subway_ttc2.jpg

Looking at Standing Density in a Subway Car5. Ultimately when there are no seats available that I want, then I end up standing in around the middle section of the car away from the doors where people tend to crowd and get pushed by other commuters wanting to get on to the subway car. As you see from the next image, the middle is the least crowded is where people are least in a hurry to get in and out as it’s furthest away from the exits/entrances.

Pros: There is only one pole and limited space so at most you must share standing room with one other person.

Cons: More difficult to exit subway car. Occasional commuter with gigantic backpack or laptop bag decides to stand directly behind you (think staggered!).

Behaviour on the Subway

Where do you sit? What kind of seating do you typically look for on public transit? Why do we act the way we do? I can’t answer all that but I’m sure if anyone can recall high school chemistry, we were frequently referred by the teacher to the term diffusion which is the movement of particles from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. Here are some observations:

A. Ironically despite the fact that humans are a social species, we tend to diffuse through out the subway car to seat as far apart as possible. As seats begin to fill up, our attitude towards sitting next to a stranger oddly enough seems to change. We begin to accept our neighbours. I guess we really want that seat … or perhaps we subconsciously value our newfound neighbour?

B. We also like to take the path of least resistance while eyeing a particular seat. That doesn’t necessarily mean the path is practical — be it running over people or pushing through a massive crowd in order to get to a seat, some people will do whatever it takes to rest their legs.
subway_ttc3.jpg

Why We Stand Where We Stand C. Once we get to a spot, we like to stick to it and not move. This happens quite frequently when we stand in the orange or red areas (refer to the third diagram). It also happens when we get stuck in a jam or when we are trying to talk with friends. It’s a little harder to be accommodating when we’re commuting as a group. This can be referred to as clumping — also a biological process.

D. We are very eager to board the subway car but as soon as we are inside, our mind is already focused on how we get out as fast as possible. This is the case for many people who stick to the red area. The result is a massive traffic jam within the red area, usually in the four corners where there are poles for holding on to dear life when the subway car starts moving.

We especially enjoy standing against something whether it may be a pole, a panel of glass, the edge around a door. Sometimes other people too become temporary inanimate objects.

E. Others who are more skilled in the ways of balancing (or simply have a better inner ear) are able to deal with the effects of inertia and thus do not require something to hold on to.

What is interesting about this information is that we can take from it the fact that there are groups of behaviour. What will happen when the new trains arrive? It is said that the new trains will be open ended so passengers can walk from one end of the entire train to the other end. Will that have any impact?

For fun, take a look at the poll below and see which groups of behaviour you might consider yourself as belonging to. If you have ideas on additional groups of behaviour that you think that I should add, just say so!

My favourite seat ( not counting the next-to-cutie-pie seat ) is that single seat next to the driver or guard or whoever it is - especially if I'm heading to the airport with luggage. You can settle in there and nobody will bother you.

This ranking obviously only applies to the T1s. In the older H5 and H6 trains, the #1 spot is definitely the lone seat behind the cab (the one already mentioned above by Urban Shocker), which has more room than any other seat on the train.

It's also the #1 spot in the H4... as long as you're fat and/or wearing a big winter coat. From experience I find that whenever I sit in that spot on an H4, there's always some (usually obese) person who plunks down right next to me without asking and squeezes me out of that seat.

I like the forward facing seat next to the window best (#2) when I know that I won't have to squeeze past hordes to get to the exit.

On the other hand, if I get on a southbound train at, say, Osgoode in the afternoon rush hour, I try to sit at the seat next to the doors if it's available.

I avoid the dreaded seats next to the operator's cabin (the ones they ask you to vacate when they are opening doors on the opposite side). Not only are they hard to get out of at rush hour, but they're also usually strewn with trash - old McDonald's paper bags with fries spilling out of them, or the ubiquitous rolling empty can.

The subway trains in Paris on the main line (M1) have no doors between cars and there is much more movement by passengers because of this. They get on the train and then walk through the cars to the car that is most convenient to where they want to exit on the platform. My favourite spot to stand on those cars was the area between cars because it has a nice rocking motion. The setup is similar to that of our bendable buses.

I always go for the seat #1 (or its opposite, of course) when available too. Going southbound at Queen and gound around the U, I usually get it going home from work (or I stand and wait for it to be vacated by Union, and it lines up with the esclator at my "home" station.

Then I always go for seat #2 - reason, you can lean your head, you aren't going to have to give the seat up (I feel some obligation if I am seated in an outer or inner-facing seat) and see the window. I need that. My third choice is the rear-facing version of that. Then I go for the seat next to the end car door. After that I will try for a inside facing seat, but not a middle. My favourite place to stand is leaning against the end car door.

Personally I'll take any forward-facing seat. I hate inner-facing seats and only take them if there's no forward- or backward-facing seats.

I like sitting in the #2 seat, facing forward. And if I'm on the Bloor line (which is where I usually ride), on the south side of the train.

I may be misinterpreting the graphic, but it seems to be missing the cab end of the car. On a T1, my favourite seat is the outside seat at the cab end of the car (not the parallel row of seats just in from the end), assuming that it is not the guard's car. Why? You get more legroom and the seat in front protects you from crowds.

On older cars, the seat next to the cab is obviously the choice.

I tend to favour any of the inner directional seats (forward or backward). When attending university I would often grab a coffee at Finch and the ledge behind the seat in front of you provide a great place to rest your cup. Failing that I'll take any open seat (preferably in a pair), before finally squeezing myself into the inevitable middle seat of a triple. I have no qualms about taking that seat while earlier I might have simply stood.

It is an interesting dynamic watching passengers board and distribute themselves among the seats. They will generally leave 1 seat between themselves and the nearest rider at minimum where ever possible. Watch people boarding busses and you'll see this even more so as the fill the rear inward facing seats.

Hell people have studied the distribution of men at restroom urinals.

the inner facing seat right beside a door is MINT!!!!, you can relax ur head on that glass wall type thing/barrier, and get off even when the train is really crowded, :) and sleep too, and check out the new broads that come on the subway via the door right next to u :p

It's funny how set in our ways we often become. The most efficient doors of the train happen to line up with the driver's end of the car both at home and at work. 19 times out of 20, I'll ride the subway near the driver's end. As a result, the non driver's end feels awkward, and I hate riding there.

Can't comment on the H4s though, I haven't been on one since about 2004. How often do they run? If I really wanted to see one, how many trains might have to pass by before an H4 arrives?

You can catch a H4 train in the B-D during rush hours and early evenings weekdays. Last time I took B-D, one just pulled up, but you might have to wait. There's usually only 6 or 7 trains running now.

I like 1 and 2 as well. Apart from the reasons already mentioned, I like those because there's very little likelihood that you'll have to give your seat up. :)

While comfortable, I don't like the seats next to the doors because some people stand with their asses squeezed against the glass.

Back