313     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

Top 10 Toronto Architects

Urban Shocker

Doyenne
Member Bio
Reaction score
They don't need to have been born here, but each must have made a significant, positive contribution to the city they called home.

All right. I guess I'll pick all the low-hanging fruit:

EJ Lennox
Peter Dickinson
Uno Prii
Raymond Moriyama
Eberhard Zeidler
Peter Clewes
TC Pomphrey
Frank Darling
John Pearson

Are there architects known as " Toronto " architects " outside of here ? Is there a tally of local architects, current and recent, along with GTA projects associated with them ?

EJ Lennox
Peter Dickinson
Uno Prii
Raymond Moriyama
Eberhard Zeidler
Peter Clewes
TC Pomphrey
Frank Darling
John Pearson

I might strike Pomphrey, perhaps combine Darling & Pearson, add Cumberland, Burke, maybe Lyle, maybe Chapman, perhaps Parkin...jeez, this is tough...

EJ Lennox
Peter Dickinson
Uno Prii
Raymond Moriyama
Eberhard Zeidler
Peter Clewes
TC Pomphrey
Frank Darling
John Pearson

Trade you Moriyama for Diamond & Myers (and their descendants Diamond and Schmitt, KPMB and HPA).

* William Thomas ( 1799-1860 )

* Frederic W. Cumberland ( 1821-1881 ) or William G. Storm ( 1826-1892 )

* E.J. Lennox ( 1854-1933 )

* Eden Smith ( 1858-1849 )

* John B. Parkin ( 1911-75 )

* Peter Dickinson ( 1925-1961 )

* Eberhard Zeidler ( 1926- )

* Raymond Moriyama ( 1929- )

* Jack Diamond ( 1932- )

* Peter Clewes ( 1953- )

* William Thomas ( 1799-1860 )

* Frederic W. Cumberland ( 1821-1881 ) or William G. Storm ( 1826-1892 )

* E.J. Lennox ( 1854-1933 )

* Eden Smith ( 1858-1849 )

* John B. Parkin ( 1911-75 )

* Peter Dickinson ( 1925-1961 )

* Eberhard Zeidler ( 1926- )

* Raymond Moriyama ( 1929- )

* Jack Diamond ( 1932- )

* Peter Clewes ( 1953- )

Why in the world is John Howard (1803-1890) not on your list, doyenne?

You selected three of his buildings on your list of ten best lost buildings, yet he doesn't make the best architect list?

This is akin to a film winning the Best Picture Oscar and the director isn't even nominated.......

I know, I know, I'm a simply awful person. I think the buildings by William Thomas were aesthetically more attractive than those by Howard ... so I chose him instead! But I think Howard was very modern in the sense that he was painstakingly concerned with the programmatic aspects of his buildings - the Provincial Lunatic Asylum for instance. Perhaps I was too mean, I dunno. But I made up for it by including Jack Diamond, who is as programmatic as hell in his skill set and criticized for not being the cat's miaow of the aesthetic set.

I'll revive it by nominating Henry Langley (1836-1907), probably Toronto's best church architect (the original Metropolitan Church, Jarvis Street Baptist, Walmer Road, the Necropolis), as well as many iconic secular buildings such as the 8th (Adelaide Street) Post Office and the Yorkville Town Hall

http://ve.torontopubliclibrary.ca/toronto_sanctuaries/langley.html

And his partner Edmund Burke, (1850-1919), who brought the "Chicago-style" to Toronto with the Simpson's Department Store and the Ryrie Building (not to mention the Bloor Street Viaduct).

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?BioId=41375&query=

Last edited:
It may be a tad early in his career, but I would like to add Stephen Teeple to the list. As well as Ron Thom (just for Massey College alone).

*Maybe* a place can be made for John Andrews?

Perhaps, as long as we consider some of the 50's, 60's Modernists like Irving Grossman, Jerome Markson and Macy DuBois, as well as the early work of Page & Steele (founded in 1926).

One architect who deserves a higher profile is Ferdinand Herbert Marani (1896-1971), who led a number of firms through the years, starting in the 1920's, and was responsible for such classic Modern buildings such as the Bank of Canada and Maclean Hunter buildings on University Avenue and Confederation Life on Bloor East. http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/new/interest/filey/archives/marani

Back