1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.9K     4 

Took my family to the AGO today

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
One of my daughters (5yrs old) always talks of wanting to be an artist and about how she loves making art. It is definitely true, in that she's always making art, and her creations show a really great use of her imagination.

So, I thought I'd show her where a lot of artists put their art of display, the AGO. Her sister (also 5 yrs old, yep, twins) is less into art, and was tired, having stayed up past midnight with us watching TV to herald in the new year.

I must say we had a great family trip to the AGO. They're very welcoming of well behaved children. Since my girls had already been given the chat about always holding our hands, no loud voices and no running, etc. along with a welcome ear to listen to and answer (as best their Mum and I could) all their questions, we were set to go.

A little about me and art. Years ago I visited the main gallery in Ottawa and remember scoffing at "art" consisting of toilets stuck on walls, or a room with a few bricks in the corner with a cable stretching from one lower corner to the upper corner across the room, or a scrap car painted in garish coloured blotches, etc. I know this is art to someone, so I don't begrudge the taxpayers putting this in the Ottawa gallery, but I was wondering what art I'd see at the AGO, and hoped for a wider spectrum of art this time round.

Well, it was great. No, not all the art was to my taste, nor appropriate for little kids' eyes (horror/death scenes, etc), and nor should it be, but that said, I think if I was there alone I'd look at more of these pieces in detail. There were great pictures of still life and of simple scenes of farmers, parties, etc. that my kids quite liked. I especially liked the wooden ships display in the lower level. The gift shop had a great kids section. My only two possible complaints were that there were insufficient seating in the lower cafe and that the Grange historic house has been turned into a member's diner, when it used to be an great historical reenactment attraction.

My "artist" daughter left with great plans to pursue her craft. When I showed her the OCA building on stilts she was amazed, and said that was where she wanted to go to school. Her Mum and I are making sure that both of them will have more than enough in their RESPs to finance at least their first degrees, so if she has the talent and work ethic, anything will be possible. My trip to the AGO today was a great time.

Your anecdote reminds me of a visit to the National Gallery in Ottawa a while back. I was there to meet a friend and had some time to kill, so I wandered around in some of the galleries. A school group was making its way through, and the class was getting the talk on a particular piece by one of the Gallery employees. As the kids moved on to the next picture, one little girl lingered to continue looking at the piece they had just talked about. I had the impression that something had really caught the imagination of this child. She seemed to be transfixed by it. Moments later, her teacher returned. Rather than pulling her along to catch up with the group, the two of them appeared to get involved in a talk about the piece in question. There seemed to be plenty of quiet discussion, lots of pointing at different portions of the canvas, and a sustained interest in it. The girl didn't take her eyes off of it. I had the distinct impression that a child had just made a discovery for herself about something concerning the range and capacity of human expression and creativity. It was a wonderful reminder of what art can do for the open mind.

nor appropriate for little kids' eyes (horror/death scenes, etc), and nor should it be,

You came across 'Slaughter of the Innocents' then.:)

My daughter took various kinds of sketching and art in school; without a true objective in mind. It wasn't until grade 13 that she wanted a career in fashion. That's the industry she works in now, that skill came in very handy.

It's nice to hear of forummers family lives and hopes here.

Aw what a great dad you are. And looking out for their futures. Very lucky kids you have. I wish my parents had saved up money for my education.

I wish my parents had saved up money for my education.
Me too. I'm of British-birth, and they say of Brits that your sole inheritence is your eye colour and your hair colour. My wife's background is Eastern European, and those guys will work in a pit mine for their kids.

I graduated from university in 1995, and am still paying off my student loan. Mind you, there's only about $1,000 or less left of the original $30,000 plus bucks I originally borrowed, and I could pay it off now with one week's pay. Thing is, the interest you pay is fully tax deductable, so there's really no incentive to pay it off. So, I pay down my line of credit instead. My goal is to be entirely debt free (except mortgage) by end of 2009.

What a great family trip! Nice to see families at the AGO! I was there a few weeks ago, i saw lots of families there on a saturday afternoon. I wish our Prime Minster could be there to see how average Canadians DO care about art!!

I wish our Prime Minster could be there to see how average Canadians DO care about art!!
The Conservatives do care about, and fund the arts, contrary to what we read in the media or web. The Conservative party's full platform was released Tuesday, Oct. 7, a week before the election.

Below are some of the current commitments of the CPC government, from their October 2008 policy statement:

- Maintain funding for arts and culture at or above existing levels.
- Create a new, refundable tax credit of up to $500 for children under age 16 enrolled in arts or cultural activities. Make this credit accessible to low-income families.

The Conservatives do care about, and fund the arts, contrary to what we read in the media or web. The Conservative party's full platform was released Tuesday, Oct. 7, a week before the election.

Below are some of the current commitments of the CPC government, from their October 2008 policy statement:

- Maintain funding for arts and culture at or above existing levels.
- Create a new, refundable tax credit of up to $500 for children under age 16 enrolled in arts or cultural activities. Make this credit accessible to low-income families.

As well as the $45 million in cuts to culture funding announced by the Conservative government last August. Harper's dramatic cut to arts funding has provoked a huge backlash even from "average Canadians"

Good for you for exposing your kids to exhibits at the AGO, although I somewhat suspect that, at that age, they were not up for the complete tour of the whole place (I wasn't!). It needs several visits to take in completely. What an impressive attraction. A good reason to live in Toronto.

As well as the $45 million in cuts to culture funding announced by the Conservative government last August. Harper's dramatic cut to arts funding has provoked a huge backlash even from "average Canadians"
Well, I don't want this thread to turn into a debate on taxpayer funding of the arts. Instead, let's focus on kids and families at the AGO.

Good thoughts on the subject. I might have to reconsider and go back. I visited both the AGO and the ROM a couple years back when both were under renovations and came away very disappointed considering the prices (adjusted at the AGO, full at the ROM).

If they weren't so overpriced to begin with I would have felt less disappointed. It made me envy the way they do things in London or Washington or even in New York where you pay what you feel appropriate, but that's another issue.

Returning to the ROM last week I was much more pleased with the place, though I paid even more this time for the privilege. Perhaps now it's time to a return trip to the AGO.

Brian, one person's feelings: the ROM is going through a staged reopening. I have been there only once since it reopened. I was impressed to some extent, but also disappointed at the number of incomplete or closed-off areas. I will wait until it is substantially completed before going again.

The AGO, by contrast, reopened with everything in place. It's a bit much for one visit, in fact really demands two or three visits, but it's deeply satisfying.

The admission prices are a bit high. They are "world class" attractions (overused word, but appropriate). In spite of recent generous gifts, Toronto institutions still don't have the depth of philantrhopic support that a few of the high-profile places in New York City, for example, have. Accessibility is an issue.

Thanks Walt--sounds like the AGO will be worthwhile this time around. During the construction phase it seemed that I finished it far too quickly and I generally take my time when I walk around.

I had a friend from NYC visit over the holidays and while he enjoyed the ROM the way the pricing is structured you have to take everything in at once and then wait to come back. I ended up seeing most of the same stuff I saw 2 years ago and paid $2 more to see it. Since special exhibitions are not separate from the main area it can be frustrating to miss new ones as it's hard to justify full price to see them. As my friend pointed out, he can visit and revisit at will where he is, taking in any changes without paying in full to see stuff he's already seen. This is really what a cultural repository should be in the first place--accessible at any time.

Admission Prices

* Members – FREE
* Adult – $18
* Senior (65 and over) – $15
* Ontario High School Students (full-time with valid ID) – $10
* Youth (6–17 years) – $10
* Children (ages 5 and under with adult) – FREE
* Family Pass (2 adults and up to 5 youth ages 17 and under) – $45

* FREE Wednesday Evenings from 6 pm to 8:30 pm
* FREE general admission for Ontario High School students with valid school ID, Tuesday to Friday, 3:30 – 5:30 pm
* FREE general admission for Ontario teachers with valid ID from the Ontario College of Teachers
* SAVE on groups of 15 or more!

Gallery Hours:
Tuesday, Saturday & Sunday: 10 am - 5:30 pm
Wednesday, Thursday & Friday: 10 am - 8:30 pm
Closed on Monday

Wednesdays from 18:00 to 20:30, admission is free for the simple folks like me.

The admission price at a lot of museums and galleries allow a second visit for free within a certain period of time (perhaps a week or a month). This gives people the ability to not have to rush so much in order to see the whole museum. It seems unlikely that such a policy would lead to much of a loss of revenue, while giving serious visitors much greater satisfaction.

Back