News   Apr 24, 2024
 721     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 950     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 564     0 

Tolls, Road Pricing and Congestion Pricing

I don't have a problem with taxes as long as they are freely chosen

What does this constitute in your mind? A referendum for every tax or increase in rate?

and pay for for something that only government can provide effectively.

We're really only discussing highways here, which by their nature are monopolies; as really, are most public transit operations.

As such they would generally be best suited to public sector ownership.

I'd consider debt servicing a waste of money, and borrowing excessively to pay for what we can't afford is irresponsible.

I completely agree with this statement. Which makes it all the more necessary to increase revenue such that any investments made are on a cash-from-current basis, rather than debt.

Where's the high speed rail and other great infrastructure?

Clearly, a material portion of the debt to date has gone to temporary income supports for people and business alike.

Little, if any (on a net new basis) has gone to infrastructure.

Last edited:
Reactions: jys
I don't care for any of the parties and I'm not particularly conservative or liberal. I don't like mismanagement and lack of vision.

Ummmm............

I don't support communist slush funds.

That's you talking...........while the above statement may not be partisan, strictly speaking......though a Communist Party member may beg to differ......

It most certainly betrays an ideological bias; and a penchant for hyperbole.

Yes I support referendums on tax hikes that weren't announced in an election platform. They can be done securely and easily online.

You got me on the hyperbole. Bombast can be persuasive and fun.

Last edited:
Yes I support referendums on tax hikes that weren't announced in an election platform. They can be done securely and easily online.

You got me on the hyperbole. Bombast can be persuasive and fun.
Can’t online referendums be hacked. Can’t votes be stolen.

so don't build any roads or highways, perhaps close some, and congestion will magically disappear.).
Cool fact: I read somewhere that this actually did happen in a South Korean city which decided to tear down it's urban expressway. Not only was there no ensuing traffic mayhem, pollution was greatly reduced and property values in the area skyrocketed.

Back