News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TIFF 2015

I've been going every year since 1988, and though I am sure organizing such an event is expensive, I am beginning to resent their prices. Let's say you want to see 20 films with your partner, with a contributing membership to make sure you get the films you want. With a program, that comes to $1,250. Instead, for that price, I can get two good season tickets for live entertainment, such as the National Ballet, and most of the films I want to see will be available elsewhere anyway at a fraction of the price. This might be my last TIFF if that trend of 10%+ yearly price increases continues.

I've been going every year since 1988, and though I am sure organizing such an event is expensive, I am beginning to resent their prices. Let's say you want to see 20 films with your partner, with a contributing membership to make sure you get the films you want. With a program, that comes to $1,250. Instead, for that price, I can get two good season tickets for live entertainment, such as the National Ballet, and most of the films I want to see will be available elsewhere anyway at a fraction of the price. This might be my last TIFF if that trend of 10%+ yearly price increases continues.
I hear you, though I have never thought of my membership as being a cost of going to the festival. Still, I take the time off work and it is a cheaper holiday than going somewhere, and nice to be off in September when the weather is still good and no one else is on holidays.

I usually try to go to a few but I didn't really get my act together this year in terms of buying tickets, and pretty much everything I most want to see is off sale.

Have been attending TIFF since 1983 (first movie was "The Big Chill" with the entire cast in attendance). Many great moments over the years--the children from the cast of the French film The Chorus appearing after the film to sing live...

Or Christopher Plummer‘s dazzling appearance after the screening of 2011’s “Barrymore”, that was hosted by Canadian filmmaker, Atom Egoyan. The audience was filled with Canadian celebrities and Mr. Plummer was very charming during a discussion about a long career that spanned sixty years. He spoke of lessons learned from an actor’s life and his personal connections to the Barrymore family. His anecdotes provided a brief glimpse into his relationships with women and his candid battle with alcohol.

There was also Liza Minelli, standing outside the Elgin theatre where a restored version of her 1972 TV concert film, “Liza with a Z”, was screened in 2005. In an Oscar-worthy gown, she welcomed movie-goers and the press with a flourish and an invitation that we would all have a “simply wonderful time” inside. On stage after the screening, she sang a few snippets of her most memorable songs, fielded personal questions from the audience, and complimented a few of the drag queens at the back of the theatre who were made up to look like their idol. It was weirdly surreal, although the film was a remarkable time capsule of an energetic performance from another era. However, I left the theatre later that night, thinking not so much about Liza, but about Norma Desmond from “Sunset Boulevard”.

Director Henry Jaglom was another favourite personality from the earlier years of the festival. After a screening of “Can She Bake a Cherry Pie?” he entertained the audience by spinning stories of liquid lunches with Orson Welles. The two had once worked together on a film. They would work on one final film together, “Someone To Love” just before Welles’ death in 1985. Long into the night, Henry sat perched on the edge of the stage, microphone in hand, talking about Welles’ famous personality, numerous starlets and movie ideas that never got made–it was a fascinating glimpse into the ways of old-time Hollywood.

And I also remember film critic, Roger Ebert. Often sitting alone in the dimly lit balcony section of the now demolished Uptown theatre, I miss his presence at TIFF these last few years. I would see him busy before a film taking notes, but he was always generous to the many movie-goers who interrupted him for a “thumbs up” or an autograph.

There's a lot more to TIFF than watching a film that will eventually be available for $2.99 on all available platforms...

Am dying to see The Martian, but since it is coming out in two weeks I opted to wait.

I remember that scrrening of Liza With A Z, how the audience aplauded not only Liza (who appeared remarkably lifelike that afternoon), her beaded suit (were those shorts? In my memory they were), and the show (brought to you by Singer Sewing Machines), but also EVERY. SONG. IN. IT. as if we were watching it live.

I used to love seeing Ebert at screenings.

More great picks this year-Room and 45 Years. Both have a slow deliberateness that pack an emotional punch.

Back