1.1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 543     0 

The Union Station Experience

D

Darkstar416

About a month ago, simply Dan and myself decided to take the Toronto Railway Historical Association's "Union Station Experience" tour. It happens on the last Saturday of every month at 11:00 and is a mere $5. Very good value for the money! You can reserve a spot by e-mailing: uniontours@trha.ca

Most pics speak for themselves, so I'll keep commentary to a minimum. Anyway, here's the pics!

CapturedPhotos00000.jpg

DSCN1107.jpg

DSCN1109.jpg

DSCN1110.jpg

You guessed right, this isn't the original ticket/info stand.
DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN1112.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

DSCN1116.jpg

These trains are mainly used on the weekends and is part of the ongoing effort to fix the tracks leading in and out of the station. The project won't be completed until 2012!
DSCN1117.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

Work crews on said tracks...
DSCN1119.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1121.jpg

DSCN1122.jpg

DSCN1123.jpg

Anyone have Ted Roger's e-mail?
DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1126.jpg

View of the Royal York from "the moat."
DSCN1127.jpg

This western underground concourse matches the one on the east (now currently used by GO) and will eventually be a second GO councourse to help disperse the crowds. It is currently being used by rental car companies.
DSCN1128.jpg

These same battery-powered machines have been transporting luggage at union station sine the station opened!
DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1132.jpg

Where they get their power from...
DSCN1133.jpg

DSCN1135.jpg

The President's former office (now used mostly for movie sets).
DSCN1137.jpg

DSCN1138.jpg

DSCN1139.jpg

DSCN1140.jpg

DSCN1141.jpg

DSCN1142.jpg

DSCN1143.jpg

DSCN1144.jpg

DSCN1145.jpg

Can anyone see the spelling mistake?
DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN1149.jpg

DSCN1150.jpg

DSCN1151.jpg

DSCN1152.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

DSCN1154.jpg

DSCN1155.jpg

DSCN1156.jpg

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1159.jpg

DSCN1160.jpg

And that's that!

I must say though that Toronto is truly blessed with a gem of a station. I believe that now more than ever. However, after taking a fairly detailed tour of the place it saddens me to see how just about every square metre of that station is screaming for help. Better usage, better flow, modernization, etc. Let's hope it happens soon!

That's one grand station. I love the interior of that Hall.

The tracks seem kind of messed up though, look at how odd these wooden shelves are positioned relative to each other:
DSCN1117.jpg

How are you and SimplyDan doing ? Did you recover from the jetlag already :)

I did the tour back in the early Spring.

A web page I (mostly) wrote a few years ago on Union Station (on Transit-Toronto) was recommended by the organizers as a brief history of the station. That was neat.

Great pics.

Unfortunately I find the real Union Station experience often feels like you're walking through some sort of bargain strip plaza.

^ Agreed. It's a magnificent old building, and it could be so much more attractive.

Thank you for these pictures!

Thanks for the tour!

It would be nice if they could renovate the trainshed so that it is less gloomy.

DSCN1118.jpg

20060608-090732_c44699.jpg

GO is planning to renovate the train shed. This includes replacing wood beams and replacing those concrete ventilation slats with identical new ones. It shouldn't look any different than it does now after the renovation is complete, since the train shed is a heritage site.

I'm not usually one to advocate tampering with heritage structures. However, this train shed has little to recommend it. It's dark, dirty, and gloomy. Give us a more modern skylight-style roof to let some light in.

Nice pics. The upper level is of course a gorgeous building- one of Toronto's few architectural gems. The lower level indeed feels a bit like a bargain basement. A lot has to do with the fact that the ceilings are low, but such a grand building begs for more elegant fixtures and furniture down there. The washrooms are particularly nasty as well- at least fix the hand-dryers!

The historic train shed shouldn't be untouchable architecture imho. It's in dire need of an overhaul.

This tour is longer, far more comprehensive and provides more information for those who participate.

Back