News   Apr 18, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

The Tarion Thread

If the purpose of this thread is to do marketing for Tarion, UT should think again. There are many great things about Tarion, but just as much many poor things which make consumers think they are being protected. I would hope that UT would contact the Tarion critics to get their viewpoints, politicians included. Lots of examples out there. I lived through a 3 year battle with Tarion, where both the Tarion lawyer and the developer's lawyer ganged up on us during a tribunal hearing that lasted an entire week.

Even after the judgement from the Tribunal where the judge told the developer that he was completely wrong and should never do this to consumers again, we had to go to court to get the developer to pay us because he still refused. We spent more lawyer fees in the end than we got "protection". If I did not have a high end lawyer, I would have been toast. This name brand developer is still selling condos.

Here is a recent story about others in the same boat:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/07/06/star_investigation_homebuyers_not_getting_full_picture_from_protector_tarion.html

If the purpose of this thread is to do marketing for Tarion, UT should think again. There are many great things about Tarion, but just as much many poor things which make consumers think they are being protected. I would hope that UT would contact the Tarion critics to get their viewpoints, politicians included. Lots of examples out there. I lived through a 3 year battle with Tarion, where both the Tarion lawyer and the developer's lawyer ganged up on us during a tribunal hearing that lasted an entire week.

Even after the judgement from the Tribunal where the judge told the developer that he was completely wrong and should never do this to consumers again, we had to go to court to get the developer to pay us because he still refused. We spent more lawyer fees in the end than we got "protection". If I did not have a high end lawyer, I would have been toast. This name brand developer is still selling condos.

Here is a recent story about others in the same boat:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/07/06/star_investigation_homebuyers_not_getting_full_picture_from_protector_tarion.html

This is the problem. I was unwilling to pay for a lawyer and devote even more time to my issue with the builder for this very reason. Tarion is misrepresented as an entity that will help protect your investment against builders pulling the okey dokey. But this is not true. YOU have to chase the builder to do the right thing. You then have to pay for Tarion to come and inspect the deficiencies. If Tarion thinks there's nothing wrong (which happens a lot) then YOU have to suck it up and fix the deficiencies yourself. Builders know this. "Oh...don't worry, Tarion will protect you" they say. But that's bullshit. Builders can afford high priced lawyers so it's them against you. You'll usually lose unless it's something huge. The builders are also given so much time to make the changes. It's possible to have purchased 2 years ago and still have unresolved items from your 30 day form. I think the timelines are too far out and only seem to benefit the builder.

Just my opinion, of course.

Back