The Star on the Spadina streetcar line

G

ganjavih

The good news: It's fast The bad news: It's fast

Merchants bemoan streetcar users who speed on through

Mar 17, 2007 04:30 AM
Jen Gerson
Staff Reporter

Toronto's Spadina light rail transit line affords a great, albeit brief, view of Chinatown.

In the 26 minutes it takes to travel between the Spadina and Union subway stations, commuters can glean a sense of this neighbourhood: They can see the tables of $5 shoes, the sellers of dubious DVDs and the fruit stands stuffed with sugarcane, oranges and chestnuts for less than a dollar a pound.

They breeze by, but don't stop in like they used to.

Those shopkeepers who have been around long enough to remember a time before the dedicated transit line are still too angry to talk about it.

The City of Toronto now has a plan to build similar streetcar-only lanes along the Finch and Eglinton Aves. corridors, north into Scarborough, linking Don Mills to the Bloor subway, and along the lakeshore.

To those who use the Spadina streetcar or drive the avenue, the consensus is clear: Light rail transit makes the neighbourhood easier to get through.

It wasn't always this way.

Before the dedicated streetcar lane was built in 1997, the cars that came here stuck – whether they wanted to or not. They were parked at 45-degree angles, jutting from corners.

The cars were jammed, the buses took forever and when the people came, they stayed.

"Everything is going this way," says Daniel Choi, pointing his index finger to the ground of his Art Supply shop at College St. and Spadina Ave. His shop has been on this corner for 27 years, he says.

"It's one of the oldest on the street now. Everybody has moved away."

The Spadina streetcar, he says, "killed the area."

It's been the common refrain in a fight – fought on Spadina and more recently on St. Clair Ave.– that has pitted shopkeepers against pedestrians, commuters and drivers.

When the Spadina streetcar lane was proposed in the mid-'90s, the community kicked up a fuss, claiming it could put up to 100 merchants out of business.

Dedicated streetcar lanes kill parking, reduce the room left on the streets for drivers, and make left turns confusing.

They're also efficient, cleaner-running than buses, hold up to 100 passengers, and offer a better view than the subway.

They're much cheaper than extending the subway, and don't hold up traffic at every city block as passengers get on and off. It was as easy an argument then as it is now.

The 3.7-kilometre Spadina line took 4 1/2 years to complete and cost $105 million.

With streetcars arriving every three minutes on average, the trip is described by commuters as convenient as well as pleasant.

"You've got to see what's going on outside," says William Sonier, while waiting for a streetcar at the Spadina station.

"You've got to see the hustle and bustle. If you don't, there's no point in living in the city. If you live in the city, you don't stay underground."

If the Spadina experience holds true, more Torontonians will soon get a view of the north and southernmost ends of Toronto – through a window travelling at an average of 14 km/h.

"It's a little confusing when you're trying to make left turns," says Irene Ash, who lives north of the line and drives down it regularly. "But other than that, and the parking down here, it's quick."

Yes, agrees Compton Clarke, a cab driver of 17 years, the dedicated lane on Spadina is a pain sometimes.

"But if we want to solve the city's traffic problems, we have to do this. We have to move people efficiently," he says.

"Nobody wants to say this, but in order to move people on public transit, first we have to frustrate drivers."

He adds: "Transit, in the end, will win out."

just because they happened at the same time doesn't mean that one caused the other. demographics change. i just can't see how slow transportation encourages people to shop. if people are already late, they're not gonna stop off and buy something and risk being more late. like i said, people move out of the area, new people move in, trends change, people shop online, etc. there are a whole bunch of factors.

As mentioned, there are a lot of things happening along Spadina. People in the Chinese community will point out that the pattern of Chinese settlement and shopping around Toronto is changing, and many do not come down to the traditional "Chinatown" along Spadina. The neighbourhood is subject to other factors. Having said that, it can be seen that there are few vacancies along the street, and property values continue to rise. I see no evidence that Spadina Ave. is in decline, although it may indeed be changing.

On a slower bus people get off and shop? i don't think so. A streetcar would offer far more exposure to the shops than the car where the driver is focused on the road in front of the vehicle and the vehicles around it.

"With streetcars arriving every three minutes on average, the trip is described by commuters as convenient as well as pleasant."

Key words here being 'on average'...

Pretty lame article. Did they interview SOS people posing as Spadina shopkeepers?

The best idea is to modernize Toronto's transfer system. Most other cities in the province - Ottawa, Mississauga, Hamilton, Brampton, Waterloo Region, York Region, etc, now have time-expired transfers. That more than anything will convince those without passes to make a stopover and shop.

I'm really not usually this negative a person, but this really is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. First of all, they came out with statistics just a few months ago showing that the new streetcars aren't a minute faster than the old buses. Moreover, I don't get "shopping attacks" whenever I'm on slow-moving vehicle. In fact, if I did, I'd probably get them quite often on Spadina. The streetcar is always packed with people doing their shopping in Chinatown, and they've put in stops at virtually every block. They couldn't possibly have made them any more convenient to shoppers.

You're exactly right, spmarshall. Timed transfers would be totally transformative for shopping strips across the city. It's one fare to go to the mall and visit several stores to do your shopping. Doing that by TTC on a shopping street like Queen could be two, three, four fares. Obviously nobody's going to do it.

dumb article in the Toronto Star!? in the words of Ralph Wiggum - that's unpossible!

Ridiculous article, nuff said.

Have the merchants considered cleaning up the overall filth as a way of bringing people back? When I lived in Chinatown, I used to shop there all the time. That is, until I realized that for 25 cents a pound extra, you could buy food in Kensington which is much cleaner and has better quality produce.

Now that I have moved out of the area, I'll gladly pay an extra 50 cents a pound to have the convenience of shopping in my own area. If I don't even want to deal with an overcrowded streetcar, I certainly wouldn't go back there if it meant standing on a slow moving bus.

Before the dedicated streetcar lane was built in 1997, the cars that came here stuck – whether they wanted to or not. They were parked at 45-degree angles, jutting from corners.

This article makes it seem that the merchants were dependant on slow transit to attract customers. Maybe the slant should have been more on decreased parking., that sucks but gridlock costs more in economic damage.

On some weekends you can barely move along the sidewalks on Spadina.

that article is silly in so many ways I don't know where to begin. Did SOS pay for the darn thing?

Back