News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

The province of Toronto?

it's just not gonna be possible that they're gonna allow the formation of 2 provinces for the current ontario. northern ontario isn't gonna shape up as a province (maybe give ottawa to this new province and call it the capital province)

Ottawa capital of Canada and a new province? That city would be bureaucrat heaven.

Another - Singapore, it manages just fine, being, well, Singapore.(if you ignore the fact China wants it back...)

Another - Singapore, it manages just fine, being, well, Singapore.(if you ignore the fact China wants it back...)

Why does China want Singapore back? It never owned Singapore in the first place. (You're probably thinking of Hong Kong, which they already have back)

or do u mean malaysia-singapore? dun think there is much about that since singapore gained independence decades ago.

While on the subject of Hong Kong, it would be interesting still to speculate about how the GTA would do as a "Special Administrative Region" of Canada instead of just another province, like the Hong Kong SAR. Toronto would be able to have its own separate laws from Canada, its own courts, and its own currency. Pretty much the only things that Canada would have control over Toronto are its defense and foreign policies. The common description of an SAR is "one country, two systems".

An SAR type of setup would really help curb sprawl in the GTA. An international-style border would be set up around the GTA. Anybody who lives outside the border but wants to commute into the city would have to cross a checkpoint. That would be a better deterrent to sprawl than a passive "greenbelt".

I don't think we need anything so drastic as that. Provincial status would be more than enough to unshackle Toronto's potential.

Oh, the Quebec seperatists would just LOVE Toronto getting some special SAR distinction, while they get.... well.....

Nonsense.

Besides rural Ontario can achieve the same objective if the map were redrawn to bring the old Upper Canada boundaries to be our province and the rest of Ontario can separate.

I think separating Toronto proper (the 416) into it's own city state ignores the realities of how interconnected Toronto and the surrounding GGH region is, also the rest of South South-Western Ontario is far more urbanized and industrialized than anything in in the North. For those reasons I think the only fair way to split the province of Ontario is to separate along a line extending from Georgian Bay-Lake Simcoe-somewhere just north of Ottawa. That would leave the urban/industrialized southern cities and the northern resource towns separate.

I think it's just an easy comment/attack to make against Toronto in order to gain favour among other Ontario residents.

Side note... Why isn't there a similar sentiment in Quebec vis a vis Montreal. It's just as much an urbanized big city as Toronto is.

Last edited:
This idea will never reap fruit, at least not in our lifetime. No one wants to touch the Constitution, for one thing, and who wants to be the Ontario premier to agree that Toronto should be allowed to separate? I suppose if the stars align, it might happen.

Still, it is an interesting and I think worthwhile debate to have. No longer is this country divided by linguistic or ethnic lines (the 1995 referendum was the last salvo for that I think). The new divide is urban-rural. No other contrasting groups have such different lifestyles and political ideals. I think we have to recognize this, but also recognize that since the ruralites are the minority in this province (and this country), a few of them will always feel like the province has a city mentality.

Back