News   Mar 28, 2024
 438     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 305     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 324     0 

The province of Toronto?

What about the new province keep the name Ontario since most of the minsitries are in the GTA and we can call everything else northern Ontario?

Centre-of-your-universe

Filip:

It's surpremely ironic that local politics, which has the highest degree of day-to-day impact to someone's life consistenly gets the least attention. Just look at the turnout for municipal elections everywhere.

AoD

Yes!

I'll use Belgrade, Serbia for example here since I'm familiar with it as much as Toronto. There, it's a similar situation - the rest of the country absolutely loathes the city and Belgrade has to fund every farmer, social program in every village and city across the country. There however, citizens are aware of the fact that their city is getting the short end of the stick. Enough lobbying insured that Belgrade now gets the bulk of funding - which shows, considering the city has been getting facelifts, underground LRT lines and whatnot ever since the new budget was announced with a significant injection from the Republic of Serbia. Much to the dismay of the rest of the country however, you can't complain - Belgrade is Serbia, which isn't the case in Canada - a country not so centralized.

Without the GTA in Ontario, you'd have Ottawa and a very diffuse suburban sprawl.

(With apologies to all the small towns of Ontario).

The small towns aren't suburban sprawl, the GTA suburbs are (and the suburbs of Ottawa, Hamilton, etc).

None of this will ever happen, but it's sort of fun to imagine. Also, wouldn't it be confusing to have both a city and a province named Toronto? I don't necessarily think we'd become one big city either, so you'd have Mississauga, Toronto, Canada. But would you not also have Toronto, Toronto, Canada? Maybe the Greater Golden Horseshoe should take another name?
There's a Quebec, Quebec, so why not?

If this ever happened, the rest of Ontario would probably split up too. SW Ontario/Niagara/Bruce, Eastern Ontario, and Northern Ontario would all be their own provinces. Capitals would be London or Hamilton, Kingston, and Sudbury or Thunder Bay. And something tells me that hell would freeze over before Hamilton joined up with Toronto's new province.

^I think two provinces (aside from Toronto) would be likely but not three. If anything most of Northern Ontario and Eastern Ontario would just be the same province. And of course depending on the protection of minority language rights within a new province, I could see some of the more Franco-Ontarian areas of Eastern Ontario joining Quebec. Or it could be a SW Ontario/Northern Ontario province with a smaller Franco-Ontarian province that would include Ottawa and much of Eastern Ontario.

It is fun to speculate. I wouldn't count on it happening tommorow but in a decade or two who knows, a new cycle of constitutional chaos is about due.

you can always turn toronto into a province and make all the former cities and/or towns that made up toronto as legal entities again.

of course, that might defeat the purpose since having all kinds of mayors, city councils, etc, will require huge amounts of cash.

There's a very famous "New York, New York", and technically there is "Hong Kong, Hong Kong" so why not...

But what I think is more effective is if there is a Toronto provincial party and Toronto federal party (if it's somehow possible? i dunno..)
That way, we vote for the Toronto party that looks out for our GTA interests. If the other parties (conservatives, libs, etc.) want the GTA votes, they'll have to really work for it to get our votes and not just rely on the fact that "we'll have to vote for someone anyway" and basically as always, had no real benefiting choice in choosing voting parties at both fed and prov levels.

There's a very famous "New York, New York", and technically there is "Hong Kong, Hong Kong" so why not...

But what I think is more effective is if there is a Toronto provincial party and Toronto federal party (if it's somehow possible? i dunno..)
That way, we vote for the Toronto party that looks out for our GTA interests. If the other parties (conservatives, libs, etc.) want the GTA votes, they'll have to really work for it to get our votes and not just rely on the fact that "we'll have to vote for someone anyway" and basically as always, had no real benefiting choice in choosing voting parties at both fed and prov levels.

I totally agree with you on this one! But for the federal party we might have to make that an Ontario Party that looks out for Ontario. Because in Federal elections its Ontario that kets skrewed and in Provincial elections its Toronto that gets skrewed!

Apparently, there is a Toronto Party, but I wouldn't vote for it.

No easy street for Toronto
Jul 19, 2007 04:30 AM

------
Miller orders spending cuts
July 18

A day after being defeated on his proposal to implement a 2 per cent land transfer tax and $60 vehicle registration fee, Mayor David Miller has finally ordered spending cuts. This is both good news and bad news. It is good news because many people have advocated for a line-by-line review and have pointed to examples of wasteful spending. It is bad news because the mayor and his supporters remained convinced spending cuts will need to be made to core city services.

The mayor must tread carefully. As demonstrated by the approval to spend $1.2 million to bail out Theatre Passe Muraille, it will be difficult for him to justify any service cuts when his council continues to support this kind of discretionary spending. Miller needs to take charge of this council and stop all discretionary spending now. Pet projects, especially those opposed by area residents, must be halted.

But this is not enough. It is now time to have a serious debate about the potential savings that can be gained by permitting non-unionized businesses the opportunity to bid on city contracts, allowing more contracting out and fostering public-private partnerships.

It is time for council to think outside the box and explore other options rather than confining itself to the archaic view that the only way to deliver city services is through taxation and user fees.

Stephen Thiele, The Toronto Party,
Toronto

Um, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Mexico, Mexico
Havana, Havana, Cuba
There are several cities named after either the region or the country. One would merely call our city "Toronto City".

Like Darkstar said, as much fun as it is to ponder, this would never happen. Neither the federal government or province would allow Toronto to become a province. I dont think either government would even allow Toronto to become a city-state within a country. There is no definite route to follow for a province to separate from Canada, but it is something that I am sure we all could see as possible. Would it be possible for Toronto to separate from Canada? That is another silly concept to ponder.

EDIT: on the topic of picking a new Ontario Provincial Capital, I am sure Mississauga would demand the title, and Hazel would likely get her way!!!

Naw. Hazel would demand provincehood for Mississauga. they could just reuse the material from the Peel separation propaganda. If Toronto gets it, why not them? Mississauga's a real city, just like Toronto.

They could join Alberta as provinces run like businesses.

Vaughan would get the capital of Ontario. It's where all the Pork goes these days.

If the Golden Horseshoe (which I think is a very pretty name of a province) was to become a province on it's own, does the remaining part of Ontario really deserve to be a province? I say we give Ottawa to Quebec and make the rest of it a territory. I mean, it's all just trees and rocks and a few lakes. :rolleyes:

^I think two provinces (aside from Toronto) would be likely but not three. If anything most of Northern Ontario and Eastern Ontario would just be the same province. And of course depending on the protection of minority language rights within a new province, I could see some of the more Franco-Ontarian areas of Eastern Ontario joining Quebec. Or it could be a SW Ontario/Northern Ontario province with a smaller Franco-Ontarian province that would include Ottawa and much of Eastern Ontario.

It is fun to speculate. I wouldn't count on it happening tommorow but in a decade or two who knows, a new cycle of constitutional chaos is about due.
Eastern Ontario isn't francophone. It does have a large francophone minority, the biggest mainly french-speaking town is Hawkesbury I think. I don't see any of Eastern or Northern Ontario wanting to join Quebec...or Quebec wanting them. I think Northern Ontario could easily be its own province, it's just that it would be one of the smaller, poorer provinces. It has ~800,000 people.

Back