Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Meets expectations

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Below expectations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsatisfactory

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
I'm inclined to be more flexible: if only because, at the c2000 time the Prince Arthur was built, it wasn't yet so clear that this was that dreaded "bloated monstrosity" type architecture. A decade before, in fact, when full-blown Postmodern Retro still seemed a novel and piquant counter-avant-garde urban concept, it might have been welcomed as genuinely "lively" and "different". By 2000, the backlash was starting to show...but still with kudos under the wire through the archway winning a municipal urban award. Today it's verboten according to the stylemongers, but a bit of an old shoe regardless.

Still, it together with its early-80s-WZMHish predecessor to the north (and the speedway width of Avenue Road) does form an overbearing Chinese Wall effect--maybe that's the more objectionable part, or at least it compounds what's objectionable about it. (At least Hazelton Lanes across the way--both the 70s and c1990 part--doesn't loom like that.)

Another thing about the Prince Arthur: as overloaded as it is, at least it isn't crude like the makeover of the Park Plaza/Hyatt "Peter Dickinson" wing to the south...

Anything with "pink" brick rates as garbage from my pov. I don't think I'm colour blind btw. Tacky, grotesque and embarrassing. Even the retail strip is dead.

If this building had red brick the colour of King's Court on King St E I'd be much happier with the building.

Are you kidding me? The retail is top notch and contains some very exclusive shops.

The brick isn't pink either, it's red.

YorkvilleGate.jpg

Looks pretty red to me...

I can spend hours admiring how gracefully this building fits into the Yorkville theme... The retail is pure Yorkvillian excess, the materials top notch, and the courtyard behind it is wonderfully landscaped.

I think you might be colour blind;) It's pinkish brown more than real red brick. When I think red brick I think of all those red brick Victorian houses in the Annex/Hazelton Ave and warehouses. As for high quality? It looks like very cheap precast finishes pretending to be high class. In other words, phony. The worst architectural crime: pretension.

But then I used to live right around the corner from this building before and during its construction. Btw, there used to be a car rental office on this site--and many locals preferred it that way!

Exclusive shopping perhaps--but not exactly 1000's of pedestrians along this strip either, eh?

That's less the fault of the building, than the fault of Avenue Road being a hostile speedway--and, perhaps, of being on the opposite side of the retail heart of Yorkville.

Considering the bad card dealt, it makes the most of it, urbanistically speaking. And besides, exclusive retail isn't exactly a pedestrian-generator; it works more on a "select individuals" than "hordes of commoners" scale...

I think you might be colour blind;) It's pinkish brown more than real red brick. When I think red brick I think of all those red brick Victorian houses in the Annex/Hazelton Ave and warehouses. As for high quality? It looks like very cheap precast finishes pretending to be high class. In other words, phony. The worst architectural crime: pretension.

But then I used to live right around the corner from this building before and during its construction. Btw, there used to be a car rental office on this site--and many locals preferred it that way!

Many locals prefered it that way? Was this in 1968?;) I can imagine the locals enjoyed seeing their property values suddenly soar, and being neighbours to a Vera Wang.

That's pretty red to me. I don't see anything pink, pink would be the colour of my townhouse, and that is nowhere near that shade:)

Less than 10 years ago this site was a (Budget? or Hertz) rental car outlet. Many out of towners I knew loved the easy access to downtown. Perhaps this outlet then moved to King/Spadina?

Either way, a huge missed opportunity. I hate it, Filip loves it. Okay we have different tastes obviously:)

Back