Innisfil Orbit | ?m | 40s | Cortel Group | Arcadis

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Innisfil on track for creating futuristic Orbit transit hub

Jul 17, 2020

With a futuristic look, the new Innisfil transit hub is on its way to reality.

During a special council meeting July 15, councillors approved concept plans for the new Orbit station and community.

Construction on the 6th Line hub, east of the 20th Sideroad, is set to begin in 2022.

It includes a GO Transit stop, indoor and outdoor seating, a public plaza, Wi-Fi charging station, washrooms and more.

“Despite the challenges presented by the COVID-19, we are not slowing down and this council has taken an important step in making sure that the transit hub is ready for Innisfil residents to use as soon as possible,” Mayor Lynn Dollin said in a press release.

The concept was designed by Partisans, a Toronto architecture firm.

The lead developer for the area, Cortel Group, is moving forward with a vision that will see the new transit hub and Orbit community built.

The surrounding community includes various condo towers.

“The Orbit is designed to be oriented around sustainability and prioritize public transit and walkability over dependence on cars,” Dollin said.

More info on this project:

Is there any cases of these plans living up to expectations? The only one that I know of is the TOD around Mount Pleasant GO in Brampton.

If your standard is Mount Pleasant, this should blow you away. Even if it doesn't quite live up to the vision set out by PARTISANS.
The standard is not Mount Pleasant it's just the only development I know of that turned out looking like a TOD. This development on paper looks great, but every similar development I've seen turned out to be standard suburban in the end.

I think depending on the timeline for the GO station to be built. This proposition could be very appealing for the WFH Millennials that are being created through this COVID lockdown. This is coming from someone who is in that demographic.

People are turning more towards greenspaces during this pandemic and could be a shift in Millenial preferences.

I think depending on the timeline for the GO station to be built. This proposition could be very appealing for the WFH Millennials that are being created through this COVID lockdown. This is coming from someone who is in that demographic.

People are turning more towards greenspaces during this pandemic and could be a shift in Millenial preferences.
This could be the experimental prototype community of today… instead of the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow.

Ah yes, EPCOT, another futuristic community that was built exactly as envisioned!

1*qq0we5ST2ks-9lx4kLUN7g.jpeg

Innisfil on track for creating futuristic Orbit transit hub

Jul 17, 2020

More info on this project:

Setting aside for the moment the prognostications about the likelihood of any of this actually becoming real at some point, is what's pictured here even desirable? The whole square looks rather windswept, the public spaces look dull and uninspiring, the GO station looks like it'd feel outdated the minute it opens, and what seems to be set up as the piece de resistance of the public square looks to be a pointless (and inaccessible) staircase that overlooks...the mechanical roof systems of the trains going by?

I'm totally onboard with the stated goals of the masterplan, but I suppose I question the desirability of both some of what I've seen put out in renderings and whether the concepts demonstrate a practicable adherence to those goals, and also whether a relatively unproven firm like Partisans is the one that should be delivering on (or helping to engineer the specifics of) the vision.

Does anyone actually think this is going to happen?
Let's just say I would be very surprised if it did happen. But as of now, I see this stuck between a pipe dream and Musk hyperloop...and probably stay that way as long as humans walk this Earth.

I fear that PARTISANS is more interested in presenting a futuristic 'vision' and imagery for this new city district than they are considering what makes good urban design. Sometimes you need to know the rules and appreciate them before you set out to break them.

As for the transit hub, as long as it turns out better than the dingy food court at Union Station (the overhead "ears" make the ceiling feel even lower and more overbearing; it's gimmicky), I'll be satisfied. -__-

Ministerial Zoning Order could be shortcut for Innisfil's Mobility Orbit project

Oct 14, 2020

A Ministerial Zoning Order, or MZO, issued by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing can provide approval for a land-use change that is deemed to be of provincial interest or significance.

An MZO takes effect as soon as it is issued and it cannot be appealed.

The Town of Innisfil is now considering requesting an MZO for at least the first phases of the Mobility Orbit – a proposed planned community centring around a new GO Train station and transit hub on Line 6.

If built out in its entirety – a process that planners suggest could take up to 50 years – the Mobility Orbit would eventually be home to up to 150,000 people.

Innisfil’s current planned population is 56,000 by 2031.

The Mobility Orbit proposal describes concentric development centring around a new GO station, with highest densities, amenities and public space within the first 225 metres around the centre of the station itself.

The plan was developed by PARTISANS, working in conjunction with Cortel Group developers and the town. It has been endorsed unanimously by Innisfil council.

The MZO being requested, now in draft form, would regulate land within 425 metres of the proposed GO station in two phases.

The first phase, within 225 metres of the station, would include mixed-use development, a minimum density of 200 dwelling units per hectare and 11,000 square metres of non-residential amenity, retail/commercial and flexible space. Minimum building height would be six storeys; no maximum has been set.

Phase 2, from 225 metres to 425 metres from the station, would see a minimum density of 150 dwelling units per hectare, a minimum of 1,000 sq. m. of non-residential space in each of four quadrants, and minimum building height of four storeys, except for townhomes, laneway suites and heritage buildings.

The Orbit proposal also includes principles that embrace interconnected open space, parkland and trails; a walkable community; energy efficiency, and sustainable development. The MZO would also specify that 10 per cent of all units in buildings of 10 units or more “shall be affordable.”

The station itself includes a 300-m long platform, room for two additional tracks, public parking and drop-off space.

The staff report being presented in council on Wednesday night notes that for financing reasons, the developer needs to know the approved residential and employment development densities – which “requires an expedited planning approval process.”

The public will have an opportunity to comment on the draft MZO. Comments will be incorporated in a final version that will come back to council on Oct. 28.

That is only the start of the process. The MZO request will then go to the County of Simcoe for approval in November. If approved, it will be sent to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing – although, as the report notes, “there is no certainty that an MZO will be granted.”

If approved, development details will be worked out through a secondary planning process, which would be expected to take 18 months. Construction is “anticipated to commence as early as 2022.”

The first two phases of the Orbit could add 7,000 dwelling units and 20,000 people to the Town of Innisfil.

If Walt himself had lived longer, EPCOT might have developed closer to his vision than the corporate theme park we ended up with.
No, it really wouldn't have. Walt dying just accelerated the process of EPCOT becoming a theme park. The biggest hurdle wasn't Roy and the bean counters, it was the fact that Walt wanted to build a city, but didn't want to give residents of that city basic democratic rights like an elected municipal government. EPCOT was never viable as a real community without local representation, and Walt wasn't having it. He needed final say on everything.
And in the end we got Celebration, Florida. A planned Disney town, but not one of "tomorrow"

*edited to add in this really long video that I think a lot of you might find interesting. Also, Robert Moses.

Last edited:

Back