Toronto The Globe and Mail Centre | 83.21m | 17s | First Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

Its context includes the Staples lot across the street to the east that is up for redevelopment soon, a large condo to its northeast, and several sizeable developments going in a block to its west. It may be seem "out of context" now, but it is merely a pioneer for similarly-sized projects coming soon.

I get that but King street is narrow and the blocks around there are small. I would hate to see that hulk become "the pioneer." It completely overshadows the area, in all ways. I'm not against density in the core but this out-sized Brontosaurus just ate the neighbourhood.

My point is that this will by no means be the largest building in this area in 5 years, so I wouldn't blame it for the densification to come. (And again, 318 King to the northeast is even larger.)

I agree that its massing is representative of what to expect of the future. I'm a little disappointed by that prospect too.

IMG_2075.JPG
The sign is lit for the first time tonight. Not sure if they're planning on lighting the red maple leaf in the logo, but it would be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    925.9 KB · Views: 522
First Gulf will be starting the final work on the sidewalks around the G &M Building starting next week - this includes slightly raising it along King Street (here the stores are) to provide level wheel-chair friendly entrances.

Back