748     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

The Fountains Of Toronto

Woodbine Park yesterday afternoon

IeJagLZ.jpg

Meanwhile the fountain at Queen & University stopped working yet again after the city had already fixed it.
Did it really break again? I may be wrong but I thought last years fix was temporary with something more thorough to take place later? ie now. Maybe I'm thinking of the salmon run fountain.

Did it really break again? I may be wrong but I thought last years fix was temporary with something more thorough to take place later? ie now. Maybe I'm thinking of the salmon run fountain.
You may be thinking of Salmon Run that was temporarily fixed last year and is supposed to be properly repaired this year - partly paid for by the local BIA. I am not sure if work has started (or finished?) yet.

I love fountains but they are rarely built. Especially with all the new construction gong on. Is it just that the fashion is out of favour with architects?

I love fountains but they are rarely built. Especially with all the new construction gong on. Is it just that the fashion is out of favour with architects?
If you read this thread you will see that fountains are a maintenance nightmare (esp. with freezing winters) and are thus not often installed, or if they are. they are poorly maintained.

Toronto, in particular, has a terrible record getting private landowners to maintain their privately-owned "public" realm, even when the open space or facilities were secured as public benefits.

For private companies isn't it about maintaining a quality product and therefore tenants or customers. Look at the Eaton Centre and how that fountain always attracts an audience. I think some of the reason companies don't do fountains is fashion and what's in architecturally. If you look at Archetizer or architect daily, you rarely see stories about new fountains.

Back