379     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 573     0 

The forum software is so.... awkward

B

bpoon2k2

... and un-userfriendly. Can't we have something like the one being used by forums.clubrsx.com ? The software there rocks... and very very easy to use. Is the software being used by this site free? How about the one being used by the site above?

Are you kidding? Any person with an IQ above 50 should be able to figure out how to use this message board with ease, imo. heh. It's not at all difficult.

Besides, the one you pointed to is no easier to figure out.

But to answer your question, ezboard has both free and paying customers from what I understand.

Before I got a user name & password I used to be able to see the posts once or twice a week. I don't know if this was intentional or a bug in the software but lately I was able to connect less & less so I decided to register and now, no more problems. If I wasn't able to connect without registering and see how interesting the forum was, I probably would've never registered. That being said, I'm for allowing guests permission to read but not post messages.

OKOK... maybe it's not that bad. Maybe I've just fallen in love with the other bulletin software. But that one does have some very cool features that this one lacks. But then again, i suppose ezboard hosts this forum for free? I just realized the domain name of the site is ezboard.com after I made the previous post. Does the creator of the forum have to pay an annual fee? Well... if it's free, I guess I can't complain.

As for guest access, I agree with rxj71.

This forum is far from free. We pay $300/year to keep it ad free.

Billy, if you want to, we could merge this one with SkyscraperCity. UrbanToronto could very well have it's own community over there and I'll just leave you in charge. Think about it, these are some goodies:

- UrbanToronto would benefit from a world wide audience,
- SSC deepens another horizon,
- UT benefits from extensive vBulletin options,
- direct outside access through own URL: toronto.skyscrapercity.com, mods get a SSC.info e-mail alias,
- Could move all posts if you want to,
- best of all, you wouldn't have to pay a thing!

Just give it a though and pop me a message if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Jan

...oh, another good bit. We're working on community databases on buildings, websites, images and the like. I would love to have a Toronto section as well. :)

No, no, no. :eek

Most of us came here to get away from those worldwide forums. IMO you cannot have a decent discussion about a particular place, plan or development without all the armchair "experts" from the rest of the world (who happen to know nothing about the issue) hijacking what might have been a worthwhile discussion.

Mergers and such

I would be against merging with skyscrapercity for now... I would only endorse it if UrbanToronto.ca had a full website up and running and the forum part would be directly linked to skyscrapercity.

Think about it, this place has flourished since its inception because we have been in self exile where the loudmouths on both sides of the issue have a digital barrier between them. Taking that success and putting it back into that position will only defeat all we have achieved and we'll be right back at square one. Either we address the root problems of all the trouble (damn near impossible over the internet and with people from all over the world!!) or we remain in our current position until we build up a mighty backbone of a website to support our reintegration back into mainstream forum communities.

If we're going back, we're going on our conditions and armed... of course everything I just said here is meaningless since it's Billy's decision to make, so whatdaya say?

Re: Mergers and such

I strongly believe that a forum doesn't belong to the admins or moderators, in the end it belongs to the forumers. If they say 'no' any admin would be stupid to even think 'yes' but I think this idea at least deserves a thought. Either way, if this place needs help in any way, don't hesitate to ask. Cheers,

No matter what's decided presently, it's good to know the offer is on the table.

Re: Location

bpoon2k2....the example forum you gave wasn't a good one though...rsx's suck ;)

the forum layout is fine I think...sure, others might seem a bit better but that's just because they're different....every forum has pro's and con's to it

as for going to skyscrapercity...the one problem would be that people from other cities tend to get in heated discussions, have nothing good to say etc...which happened at dylan's forum before, which is where alot of the members here came from at the beginning...the same attitude is at skyscrapercity and it'd be carried over...if something could be done to ensure that that wouldn't happen(ie local board mods having extra powers), it wouldnt be so bad
but i also agree that when urbantoronto.ca is up, it'll give more options as far as that goes

Re: Location

The good thing about this community concept is that they are being run by locals and locals only. They can ban, delete, add or edit whatever they please. The guy at UK Skyscrapers even gave his forum a different look.

Back