News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

The Esplanade Assembly | Allied REIT

smably

Member Bio
Reaction score
From Norm Li's Instagram:

124056760_371556047284256_9009471568986520796_n.jpg

"Over the course of seven acquisitions, owner Allied REIT has assembled a contiguous parcel of land of nearly 2 acres. Allied REIT partnered with [@torontonaiop] to offer 35-49 Front Street East and 54-70 The Esplanade, Toronto as the subject site for the 2020 Development Challenge. The Esplanade Assembly represents an irreplaceable development site of scale and character in the heart of downtown."

No idea whether they have any serious intentions of redeveloping this site in the foreseeable future, but it sounds like they do consider it to have redevelopment potential.

From Norm Li's Instagram:

View attachment 282006
"Over the course of seven acquisitions, owner Allied REIT has assembled a contiguous parcel of land of nearly 2 acres. Allied REIT partnered with [@torontonaiop] to offer 35-49 Front Street East and 54-70 The Esplanade, Toronto as the subject site for the 2020 Development Challenge. The Esplanade Assembly represents an irreplaceable development site of scale and character in the heart of downtown."

No idea whether they have any serious intentions of redeveloping this site in the foreseeable future, but it sounds like they do consider it to have redevelopment potential.

Attractive proposal that may be; faith in Allied I may have................but no bloody way.

Every single one of those Front Street properties is designated; 2 out of 4 of the Esplanade properties are also designated (66+70, 54+56 are not)

The only non-designated properties are these: (54 is Spaghetti Factory, 56 is Bier Market)

1604978513904.png

This (66-70) is all protected by designation:

1604978609137.png

As of course, is the Front Street Row:

1604978672618.png

Source, all photos, Streetview

The Assembly, Aerial View, via Google: (outlined in white)

1604978841591.png

I believe, at first blush, that the rear of most of these Front Street properties isn't original; but I can't be certain w/o looking more closely. Scott Lane, annoyingly, is not on Streetview.

one can clearly see a decrease in height on most of the properties between 1/3 to 1/2 way from Front.

So there may be some play space here, but not as much as the rendering above implies!

Last edited:
It would be nice for just one time . They would continue the same theme on top as what is see on the bottom of these rich Victorian buildings ! This city needs some art deco style facades at least in Old Toronto district this area. The garden rooftop is the only thing that makes the building a little unique!

It would be nice for just one time . They would continue the same theme on top as what is see on the bottom of these rich Victorian buildings ! This city needs some art deco style facades at least in Old Toronto district this area. The garden rooftop is the only thing that makes the building a little unique!

Ummm, Art Deco tops would not match Victorian bottoms.

I believe, at first blush, that the rear of most of these Front Street properties isn't original; but I can't be certain w/o looking more closely. Scott Lane, annoyingly, is not on Streetview.

Scott Lane does appear to be on Streetview, from taking a quick look, some of it does look to be original.

https://goo.gl/maps/C4oX1wYkGPr1PCVj7

Last edited:
Rear of 35-39 Front (Streetview)
1604981931151.png

Rear of 41-45 Front: (streetview)

1604982152678.png

Can't really get a good pic of 47-49 at the rear.

My visual impression is that 47-49 looks original.

41-45, has, at the very least been heavily molested if an older building is there. But I'm inclined to think it's newer.

I'm a bit unclear on 35-37. Parts look quite old, but the large window system at the top of 37 looks straight out of the '80s. (1980s).

I would be utterly intrigued were that an original feature.

they could pull it off , just save the exterior parts of the historic buildings along front street etc... , it's been done before in Toronto right ?

they could pull it off , just save the exterior parts of the historic buildings along front street etc... , it's been done before in Toronto right ?
I don't mean to sound harsh but saving just the exterior parts of the historic buildings on Front Street etc. isn't good enough. These are some of the most important heritage buildings we've got left. They're real buildings in a real city, not a movie set. Toronto's not Universal Studios.

Last edited:
Attractive proposal that may be; faith in Allied I may have................but no bloody way.

Every single one of those Front Street properties is designated; 2 out of 4 of the Esplanade properties are also designated (66+70, 54+56 are not)

The only non-designated properties are these: (54 is Spaghetti Factory, 56 is Bier Market)

So there may be some play space here, but not as much as the rendering above implies!

This "challenge" proposal is actually pretty smart and does loosely take into consideration the site's restrictions (including heritage and shadowing on Berczy Park).

While there are heritage components, that won't stop a developer. There are legal workarounds. While not easy (or cheap), clearly the developer has longterm plans to redevelop this block in a very big way (and to get a good return on investment, the block will need to be dense). While it likely won't be in the next few years, I'd bet we'll see actual plans surface in the next 5-10.

Ummm, Art Deco tops would not match Victorian bottoms.
And you think the tick tack toe window facade is any better ! The new development on1140 Yonge is balancing a structure on top to blend with the old on the bottom. Create something like the Esplanade condo style for the top. Or if you want to go modern 128 Hazelton Ave project in Yorkville area. Bottom line more precast instead of tin, plastic products !

And you think the tick tack toe window facade is any better ! The new development on1140 Yonge is balancing a structure on top to blend with the old on the bottom. Create something like the Esplanade condo style for the top. Or if you want to go modern 128 Hazelton Ave project in Yorkville area. Bottom line more precast instead of tin, plastic products !

I wasn't arguing for a particular aesthetic.

I'd be happy to see a well executed Art Deco skyscraper; but not on top of Victorian heritage buildings.

Do note, that I clearly opposed building out the tower proposed above.

I'd further add, I would be interested to see an attempt at a Victorian highrise (done well); but I don't want to tear down existing heritage to get there.

Like many I like 1140 as a proposal. I don't know why you would assume otherwise.

But I would note, 1140, the heritage property was built in 1930, so Deco is a logical style for something built above.

The Front Street row dates from ~1870, certainly long before Deco.

Back