954     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

The end of FHRITP in Toronto?

John Molinaro retweeted
CityNews Toronto ‏@CityNews 12m12 minutes ago
#BREAKING: MLSE will ban 4 men after 'FHRITP' incident on Sunday; 2 of the men are #Toronto FC season ticketholders

nice one tuscani, I feel you've completely missed my point as well. Cute little picture though.

Are persecuting people who thought differently in the 50's today?

maybe if you were a little clearer with this sentence I would have gotten your point.

Last edited:
I have no idea why they think FHRITP is even funny. I remember seeing that for the first time and I didn't find it humourous then either. And a year later...really?

All I can say to that is - who is laughing now? Someone need to remind them life isn't an Adam Sandler movie.

AoD

One would hope that incidences such as these would result in immediate intervention, not "reporting the guy to HR" after the fact. As to MLSE get involved, I am curious whether there are any previous incidents of questionable behaviour and ask, why the sudden urgency (beyond the obvious "geez, it went viral").

AoD

Immediate intervention? Let's not slide into victim shaming like the good Admiral came so perilously close to.

Let's be real here. The security guard is probably a minimum or near minimum wage employee and given next to no training. Somebody in that situation isn't going to get into a potential physical confrontation against multiple drunk assailants over a few words.

He doesn't have the benefit of 8,000 union buddies to back him up. He doesn't have multiple million dollar high tech toys that he can use to stalk and report from a safe distance. He doesn't have a pension for life if things go south.

He's just there to feed his family... he just wants to be able to go home without getting maimed. Everybody is putting him in a no win situation and judging him for it.

Are persecuting people who thought differently in the 50's today? you can bet that had he said that today, he would be unemployed in an instant.
When did Martineau make his homophobic comments? I may be wrong, but I don't think it was the 1950s.

Immediate intervention? Let's not slide into victim shaming like the good Admiral came so perilously close to.

Let's be real here. The security guard is probably a minimum or near minimum wage employee and given next to no training. Somebody in that situation isn't going to get into a potential physical confrontation against multiple drunk assailants over a few words.

He's just there to feed his family... he just wants to be able to go home without getting maimed. Everybody is putting him in a no win situation and judging him for it.

Victim shaming? Relax, no one is putting the guilt on him as if somehow the whole incident is his fault, because it isn't. Now that being said, is it really too much to expect someone to say a few words? His job comes with "potential physical confrontation" with or without telling a dude or two to cool off, so let's not pretend as if he'd be in grave danger because he did so considering your "multiple drunk assailants" label. And let's be real here - I wouldn't be surprised if unpaid individuals would have done so out of the belief that it is the right, the proper, the civilized thing to do.

He doesn't have multiple million dollar high tech toys that he can use to stalk and report from a safe distance

Sounds like someone is doing some victim shaming of their own - and shamed a women at that. Congrats.

AoD

Last edited:

He doesn't have the benefit of 8,000 union buddies to back him up. He doesn't have multiple million dollar high tech toys that he can use to stalk and report from a safe distance. He doesn't have a pension for life if things go south.

Most security companies in the GTA are a joke. We have the same issue in construction (they are many of the same companies, actually).

The staff are poorly trained and poorly paid. It's sad that the guy didn't speak up, but it's kind of hard to blame him, either. He looked to be by himself.

Also, this guy was an idiot (as were his buddies) and I'm glad that he got fired.

We have fired union construction workers for outside-of-work activities in the past (primarily youtube videos of things, sexual harassment, or criminal activity) and never had any trouble.

Simon Dingley @SimonDingleyCBC
I am at BMO Field interviewing soccer fans about the #FHRITP issue. As I interviewed 2 women, a group of young men yelled it out! #Rude

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Last edited:
When I worked for a large company, all staff had to read and agree to the company code of conduct. One of the things it stated was that any behaviour which reflected badly on the company, even if it was legal, was grounds for dismissal. I would assume Hydro One's code of conduct is similar, and they checked with their legal department before kicking his ass to the curb.

In fact, Hydro One's code of conduct states (in a different context), "we all have a right to personal freedom outside business hours". And it makes no restrictions on employee conduct, except at the workplace or when interacting with "people with whom we do business". I suppose you could claim Shauna Hunt does business with Hydro One because she uses electricity? ...

http://www.hydroone.com/Careers/Documents/Code_of_Business_Conduct.pdf

However, I can see from the comments that I'm on the wrong side of this issue. I'm surprised. The media are usually so strong on free speech issues. But when the speech in question is directed against them, it's a very different attitude it seems.

This reminded me of this incident: http://cbsc.ca/english/decisions/2015/150408.php

Mike Tyson hurled profanities on CP24 during a live afternoon broadcast. As a result, the CBSC had CP24 apologize on air about the incident.

There really needs to be viewer advisories. I feel bad for the female reporter who was subject to this misogyny. No one needs to be subject to this abuse.

There is this as well: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2015/04/21/so-twitters-been-publicly-shamed-mallick.html

Back