Dilla

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.economist.com/world/americas/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15726687
Canadian cities
The charms of Calgary
And the gloom in Toronto
Mar 18th 2010 | CALGARY AND TORONTO | From The Economist print edition

TIME was when the decision over where to put a new Canadian capital-markets regulator would have been automatic. Toronto, Canada’s most populous city and the capital of Ontario, the most populous province, has long been the country’s business and financial centre. The biggest banks are there, as is the stock exchange. Legions of lawyers, accountants and bankers flock daily to the towers surrounding King and Bay streets. And yet the Canadian government is in two minds over the home for the new authority, and may end up splitting it between several cities—partly to placate provincial regulators jealous of their purviews.

This hesitation has brought grumbles from politicians in Ontario. But it is tacit recognition that economic and political power in Canada are slowly shifting westward, and in particular to Calgary, the main business centre in Alberta, a province with a large oil and gas industry.

Toronto still has the top spot. Greater Toronto has 5.6m people, or almost five times as many as Calgary. It is home to more corporate headquarters than any other Canadian city. Of the 20 biggest companies in Canada, ten are based in the Toronto area. But six are now in Calgary. All are oil and gas firms, whose towers form the city’s dramatic skyline, set against the backdrop of the Rocky mountains.

And Calgary has the momentum. The new housing developments that surround the city and stretch to the foothills are evidence that Alberta is sucking in people and investment from the rest of Canada. Between 1999 and 2007, while head-office employment grew by 14.1% in Toronto, it soared by 64.6% in Calgary, according to a report by the OECD, a research body. Alberta’s economy swiftly brushed off the recession. Its leaders dismiss hostility from greens to the tar sands that are the source of much of its hydrocarbons. If Americans do not want their oil, then Alberta will build a pipeline to the west coast and sell it to China, they say.

Dave Bronconnier, Calgary’s mayor, laughs off the idea that his city might soon supplant Toronto. But he admits that he has tried to woo one of Canada’s big five banks to come and set up its headquarters. He is also courting branch offices of banks from China, the Middle East and South Korea. Office rents are higher in Calgary than in many other cities, though they have fallen sharply since 2008. But low business taxes and the lack of a provincial sales tax make overall operating costs lower than in Ontario. The city wants to become a global centre for energy companies. Its rivals are Houston, Dallas and Dubai, rather than Toronto, says Mr Bronconnier.

This boosterism is in sharp contrast to the downbeat mood back east. Despite the strength of the banks, Toronto and Ontario—the home of Canadian carmaking—have fared badly in the recession. In an editorial earlier this month the Toronto Star, the city’s biggest newspaper, bemoaned growing social inequality, worsening gridlock, a deteriorating transport system and rising taxes. “There’s a nagging but entirely justified sense that Toronto has lost its way,” the paper concluded.

Ontarians as a whole are feeling uneasy. In a recent poll taken in the province for the Mowat Centre, a think-tank, half of respondents felt that Ontario’s influence in national affairs is waning and about the same number thought the province is not treated with the respect it deserves. A generation ago Toronto benefited from an influx of businesses from Montreal fleeing the threat of Quebec separatism. That threat has receded, but federal politicians are ever-sensitive to the French-speaking province’s demands. Alberta’s politicians are becoming increasingly bolshy as their economic muscle grows.

And Ontario? Torontonians were long used “to assuming that they are the centre of the universe,” as Joe Martin, a business historian at the University of Toronto, puts it. They are awakening to a world in which their planet, though still the biggest in the Canadian firmament, is being eclipsed.

The comments on The Economist website are quite interesting.

Last edited:
If the capital markets regulator goes to Calgary, then the oil extraction regulator should go to Toronto.

Okay, I'm admittedly biased here, but... Calgary has one thing going for it. Oil. Pumping it, processing it, selling it. Energy is pretty much recession proof, so they've done well for the past few years. But one day the oil will run out, or alternative energies will rise to prominence, and Calgary will have nothing left to sell and only a ruined provincial ecosystem and big box sprawl to remember it by.

Toronto, on the other hand, has a much more diverse economy. Yes the GTA is manufacturing-heavy, but by no means does its economy rely entirely on it. There are also strong banking industries, creative industries, film industries, media industries, medical research centres, three universities, etc. I think it's far too soon to write off Toronto or crown Calgary the country's new economic capital.

Besides, manufacturing is recovering now, so all as well. Carry on.

http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/788044

Here's what I see in 2050:

Calgary's tar sands oil business is booming, oil hovering around $400 per barrel. The Middle East is a write off, Calgary's population is around 2.5 million. But it's about to get much, much larger. Why? The USA has just launched a "war on terror" against Albertans, branding the anti-tar sands folk as terrorists. They invade Alberta, Ontario doesn't care, so America annexes Alberta. The result? By 2110, Calgary is home to 7 million people, mostly Americans, with several million ex-GTAer's.... Deadmonton isn't far behind, with 5 million people. Calgary now is home to the 50 tallest skyscrapers in the world.

Alberta, US,eh?

Last edited:
But one day the oil will run out, or alternative energies will rise to prominence
There were warnings 30 years ago that we'd run out of oil within 30-60 years yet there are more oil reserves now than there were then, so I'll believe we'll run out when I actually see it.

"Calgary" and "charm" are two words that ought not appear in the same phrase without a negation in between.

Last edited:
I think it's far too soon to write off Toronto or crown Calgary the country's new economic capital.

http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/788044

I don't think that was the point of the article. Toronto has had it fairly easy for a generation or so, pretty much handed the reigns of power by Montreal, and a power that has remained fairly uncontested within Canada... until now. Not that Calgary or Vancouver for that matter truly challenge Toronto's power but that they are now legitimately important cities on the rise that will vie with Toronto more and more for a share of the pie. All the anti-Calgary/anti-Toronto nonsense aside who can really question this?

"Calgary" and "charm" are two words that ought not appear in the same phrase without a negation in between.
I actually like some parts of the city myself. Sure, there's a lot of work to do, but it's not that terrible.

If you don't think an oil-heavy economy is bad news in the coming decades, you've got something going on. Oil will not only probably start running out, but as Global Warming becomes a bigger and bigger issue, there's going to be less demand. If Alberta wants to be smart and ensure future survival, it'll want to invest in alternative energies and future tech, something that they have more than enough of. Keep Alberta's oil money in Alberta, keep Albertans happy, and benefit the entire country in the future.

"Toronto still has the top spot. Greater Toronto has 5.6m people, or almost five times as many as Calgary. It is home to more corporate headquarters than any other Canadian city. Of the 20 biggest companies in Canada, ten are based in the Toronto area. But six are now in Calgary. All are oil and gas firms, whose towers form the city’s dramatic skyline, set against the backdrop of the Rocky mountains."

Pardon me, did he just say "the city's dramatic skyline"? what kind of petroleum based product has this guy been smoking? my guess is he's never been there, because the Calgary 'skyline' is as ugly as 'grandpa's toenails' (that's one of those old fangled Western style colloquialisms those cowpokes out there are so fond of....

71774b18.jpg

Threatened?

Cut taxes. Problem solved.

I believe that is what Ontario is doing.

Remember that taxes aren't everything. Toronto has a critical mass of finance. Fat chance Calgary will make appreciable headway in unseating the city as Canada's financial capital.

If zero taxes and government regulation was the answer to everything, then Somalia would be a paridise on Earth.

If I had a dollar for every time I got that answer, Calgary would already be the financial capital of Canada. (P.S. I think you meant no government regulation)

In the sense that Somalia does not have an internationally recognized central power, it is in anarchy. Otherwise, it is not an anarchy.

Immediately after the withdrawal of the US from Somalia in 1993, it very much resembled a true anarchy. Ten years later, with the advance of the ICU in the South and with the recent interference of Ethiopia, the AU and other foreign actors, Somalia is far from the near-true anarchy that it was in the mid-90's.

It previously had an ultra communist regime that laid waste to the country; it improved compared to its past and relative to other African countries of a similar nature, it is better off… you can't expect it to go from complete ruin to economic powerhouse in a few years.

I don't wanna get into this for the umpteenth time, so here's a video instead: http://fee.org/media/video/stateless-in-somalia/

Cheers :)

^ He said "Zero taxes and government regulation", i.e. "zero taxes and zero government regulation".

Back