Would you buy an EV from a Chinese OEM?

• Yes

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 70.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 18.4%

• Total voters
I don't think "boring" is a problem with EVs, it's a problem with most cars, and most architecture, these days. I can count on one hand the number of interesting modern car designs, and then on the other the number of buildings built in the last 20 years, that I've seen. Most modern architects are hacks.

We have the ability to build in sound systems that give the operator whatever feedback they desire

off-the-highway private racetracks where those who want that thrill can indulge themselves
Already happening. What's missing is the grassroots 'shade tree' mechanic element.

I'm with a group that has to procure very small amounts of steam locomotive coal, and it's not clear that even as a heritage matter that will be permitted much longer.
And that would be sad for heritage preservation and operators like SSR and the Muskoka Steamships.

I think displacing diesel from agriculture is going to be tricky!

It's definitely not an easy problem. There are a couple garage-sized startups working on it (Linttas) but they're not going to get very far without additional battery density improvements.

Automation, like John-Deer's fully self-driving tractor/combine (legitimate self-driving like a Waymo, not a Tesla) line, help with this problem significantly. Taking the farmer out of the cab allows for increasing efficiency (lower horsepower equipment moving slower but 24/7). Combine rental, including the driver, for harvest is already a thing. So long as it's completed in the scheduled timeframe at a reasonable cost nobody will care if it needs 3/4 unmanned combines that peridically ask to be plugged in rather than 2 manned ones.

This prototype has a 1000kWh battery. Probably not enough but also not terrible for "night-shift". Solid-state Li-ion batteries would increase that in a few years once large-scale production is online. They're expecteding to start selling these in 2026; wholly autonomous tractors (diesel) are available now.

IMG_KopievanJDS21a.jpg

Large-scale (1000+ acre) farming in 2035 could be very interesting. These tend to have capital to invest in reducing operations costs. Smaller scale farming will no-doubt be done much as today, including the financial struggles.

Last edited:
I don't think "boring" is a problem with EVs, it's a problem with most cars, and most architecture, these days. I can count on one hand the number of interesting modern car designs, and then on the other the number of buildings built in the last 20 years, that I've seen. Most modern architects are hacks.
And they’re all so big. Surely we can meet current crash safety regs without making every passenger vehicle so wide and long? I’d like to see North American regs changed to encourage Bolt-sized EVs rather than EV crossovers.

What I like about my 2014 VW is the tactile knobs, no screen to fiddle with to adjust the seat warmers, etc.

And they’re all so big. Surely we can meet current crash safety regs without making every passenger vehicle so wide and long? I’d like to see North American regs changed to encourage Bolt-sized EVs rather than EV crossovers.

What I like about my 2014 VW is the tactile knobs, no screen to fiddle with to adjust the seat warmers, etc.
I thought so too. Tesla actually does a pretty good job of making the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel control those functions. Seat warmer and steering wheel warmer can go on auto and it's pretty good at selecting the right setting based on temperature.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Rivian is burning cash. If the legacy automakers can't figure out how to turn a profit from EVs. Then what chance does a smaller company like Rivian have?
Looks like Tesla is shedding some labour costs. Not to suggest that Tesla is failing, but instead to show that they're going through market corrections, same as any other industry.

Last edited:

Back