604     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     0 

The coming demise of Roots?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Do they sell jeans? I could use a pair and I'll gladly give them my money if the jeans are made somewhere reasonable.

I feel like Roots is just really expensive but its branding fails to communicate why the price point is so high. I wonder how well it's doing with gen z or immigrants

Gen Y here. I can't say that I was necessarily a fan of Roots growing up. They have a reputation for the sweat pants of course and other comfy wear like sweaters and hoodies. More recently, they look to be moving into more structured casual wear. But I personally can't justify their price ranges, where there's equivalent or better options for the same price or less.

Gen Y here. I can't say that I was necessarily a fan of Roots growing up. They have a reputation for the sweat pants of course and other comfy wear like sweaters and hoodies. More recently, they look to be moving into more structured casual wear. But I personally can't justify their price ranges, where there's equivalent or better options for the same price or less.

That was my thing. I have 2 sweaters from them but I paid 80 dollars each for them. I paid $25 for two pairs of socks from them last winter.

They are very much overpriced and I too cannot justify their high prices. I refuse to go to Roots when I can go elsewhere.

That was my thing. I have 2 sweaters from them but I paid 80 dollars each for them. I paid $25 for two pairs of socks from them last winter.

They are very much overpriced and I too cannot justify their high prices. I refuse to go to Roots when I can go elsewhere.

Exactly, at $80 for a sweater you're heading towards the territory of Club Monaco or Topman, who I'd say have an upper hand over Roots in regards to style for buck. Even Zara has clothing that I'd say have a greater style/value ratio. While a more comparable competitor to Roots like Abercrombie are seemingly always having sales online to move merchandise. .

The emergence of Uniqlo in Canada and also the presence of an alternative like Joe Fresh has made a large dent in the casual basics market. Both have clothing that are much less expensive than Roots.

Last edited:
Exactly, at $80 for a sweater you're heading towards the territory of Club Monaco or Topman, who I'd say have an upper hand over Roots in regards to style for buck. Even Zara has clothing that I'd say have a greater style/value ratio. While a more comparable competitor to Roots like Abercrombie are seemingly always having sales online to move merchandise. .

The emergence of Uniqlo in Canada and also the presence of an alternative like Joe Fresh has made a large dent in the casual basics market. Both have clothing that are much less expensive than Roots.

That's precisely my point. If I am spending 80 dollars on a sweater it won't be at Roots. I only got the two I have there because there was not much else that was warm in the winter.

Function over fashion any day.

I like Roots and want them to survive. I found over the years their clothing has gotten very expensive and the material (for the hoodies) changed. $80 for a sweatshirt with roots written all over it is a little ridiculous.

The problem with Roots started when they were acquired by private equity in 2015 (by Searchlight Capital), with the founders selling a majority of the business. The product quality, value and style has IMO been on a decline since.

It doesn't help their executive office is basically a rotating door - the current CEO (granted, interim CEO) is the private equity deal person from Searchlight, who has no operational experience. They lost their CFO last year August. I'd dig out their historical performance, but too lazy - pretty sure they are struggling on most metrics (same store sales, EBITDA, margins, etc) which is reflected in their stock price since the PE firm floated some of it to take some of their money off the table.

Last edited:
FWIW - Roots closing stores isn't necessarily a worrying sign. Every brick and mortar retailer is trimming their fleet. Private equity involvement in retail has a murkier track record with more failures (J. Crew, being a prime example) than seeming successes (Canada Goose).

They seem to have decent-quality stuff. But, why can't you buy something as simple as a basic hoodie without all their stupid branding all over it?

I feel like Lululemon has taken a large market of just loungewear from Roots.

For the most part that's true though the era of loungewear (sweatshirts, sweat pants, hoodies) went out in the late 2000's. I recall that being a fashion statement when I was in high school way back in 2003.

Back