News   Mar 28, 2024
 331     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 689     0 

The charette JURY - Bridging the Design Gap

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score

Each submission to the charette will be assessed based on 50% of UT poll results and 50% from an invited jury (using a similar rating system).

Below is a list of the jury members for the Bridging the Design Gap charette:

Dave Bowick, Principal, Blackwell Bowick Partnership Limited
Peter Clewes, Partner, architectsAlliance
Lee Jacobson, Wellington Place Neighbourhood Association
Brenda Petroff, Architect, Contributor, Torontoist.com
Pamela Robinson, Assistant Professor, School of Urban and Regional Planning, Ryerson University
Steven Webber, Assistant Professor, School of Urban and Regional Planning, Ryerson University
Alan Young, Associate, Weston Consulting Group Inc.

The Pedestrian Bridge Jury...

3D: That is an interesting panel to decide which submission gets chosen for construction with interesting design backgrounds.

When will the Jury reach a verdict as to the winner of this contest?

I feel we can all stand behind the chosen winner and watch their ideas become reality! With so many good choices this is rather tough,though...
LI MIKE

LI Mike - As much as we would love for the winning design to become a reality, there is another design that is being commissioned by Concord. It has not been shown to the public but from what we have gathered and pieced together, it is a fairly straight-forward box truss design with some "art" appended on to it. Chilean artist Francisco Gazitua has been commissioned to design the art that will make up part of the design. The budget for the bridge is $2.5 mil. Our intent is to gather attention and get a better design built that Torontonians can love and appreciate.

The jury comprises 50% of the vote, with the other 50% from the polls that have been placed in each submission thread. Polls close June 12th, and the winning design announced on June 15th.

Well, if we have a good technical design and feasibility study handed to the local councillor (Pantalone I believe), there's a good chance that the city will take it seriously. If they don't, maybe the media will pick up the story.

I guess that was the whole purpose of this exercise.

Ha, Pamela Robinson is my planning teacher. :)

I must say all the submissions were very impressive, I'd be happy with any of them to be honest.

Well, if we have a good technical design and feasibility study handed to the local councillor (Pantalone I believe), there's a good chance that the city will take it seriously. If they don't, maybe the media will pick up the story.

Adam Vaughan is the Councillor. We've sent e-mails back and forth concerning this initiative. I even invited him to be on the jury. We've also had correspondence with City Planners and people working for Concord. We hoped to have more media attention, but we are still working on that.

I guess that was the whole purpose of this exercise.

Yes.

I am thrilled that Peter Clewes is taking the time to be a judge on this panel. I commend his willingness to do this for us.

What a great project!

I think the major fault in this competition will prove to be the $10M artificial budget that was allowed.

While the more ostentatious bridges will get the most votes from both UT members and the jury, the designs that could be built within the real $2.5M budget will be forgotten and this will be, while entertaining, an exercise in futility since CityPlace would never consider spending 4 x their budget on this bridge.

/\ But in the absence of any concrete numbers from Concord, we allowed for a larger budget partly because we knew that it would make people think a little harder.

Back