440     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 502     0 

THE BULLETIN: Make King An End-To-End Streetcar Route

D

Darkstar416

An interesting idea from The Downtown Bulletin about placing the entire 504 King streetcar in its own right-of-way. I know the city will never go for it, but it's still interesting to ponder...

Edward Nixon: Make King an end-to-end streetcar route

What ever happened to city building and specifically to improving transit? Certainly all is not hopeless: Union Station’s TTC station’s platform expansion just launched at the end of May (several years later than hoped). The St. Clair right-of-way finally got the go ahead earlier this year after the lawsuit launched by aggrieved Corso Italia merchants and fellow travelers was trounced. (Noted with interest and unknown by many down here, the Hillcrest Village merchants, just to the east, were largely in favour of the streetcar project.)

My recent west-coast trip reminded me of the vital need for big projects like the subway expansion into York region, something I think is necessary and significant. No more freeways into the outer ‘burbs; start creating density in the inner suburbs. We need real transit improvements in the inner core where densities are increasing rapidly (King West, City Place, St. Lawrence, Harbourfront,).

So let’s think closer to home. The King streetcar router is the busiest surface route in the city with volumes—55,000 riders or so a day—that would suggest a subway. As it is, it’s notoriously unreliable. It is also undoubtedly vital to many Downtown neighbourhoods and the whole central core itself. A couple of years ago the TTC floated a plan to put a right-of-way from Bathurst to Parliament, and this was roundly pilloried by some merchants, and by some hard-core car advocates and traffic-flow hardliners. The problem with the TTC plan was it did not go far enough.

The King car route should be on its own right of way from end to end. As a start, I would argue from Broadview to the Roncesvalles loop. And before anyone starts getting excited, let’s think about this. Most of the retail at grade in the west end are local services: neighbourhood pubs, dry cleaners and the like. No one much is driving to those businesses. In Old Town sections of King there is a significant high-end home furnishing “district.†But there is also lots of parking in and around the King “high-street†and how many people drive SUVs down from, say North Toronto, and put a $7,000 Italian-design sofa in the back? I would guess none. They get it delivered. Sure they may wish to pick up a lamp and pop it in the back but this can be done just as easily by store staff walking around the corner to take it the shopper’s car. As for the bars and clubs, much of the traffic is local, and people should not be out bar hopping by car at night in any case.

A 24-hour service route along King in its own right of way with traffic-light signal priority is feasible given an end to on-street parking and with available technology. The benefits would be significant, enhanced and reliable transit, a streetcar that really would come every five to eight minutes, and a route that would permit additional service to be added without worsening congestion.

Next month I would like to look at ideas for neighbourhood-level transit improvements. In the meantime let me know what you think about a streetcar right-of-way on King Street, write to me at enconsulting@sympatico.ca.

King and Queen definately need so sort of transit priority. However, the TTC has stated that both streets are too narrow to do a right-of-way on.

As he states in the article, there was a proposal that the TTC floated a few years back to shut King off to cars entirely, which is covered on the TTC website and the Transit Toronto website, but it seems to have disappeared off anyone's radar screen.

I think it's a good idea. As he points out, and unlike St. Clair, many of the businesses along King are more walk-in joints. In the entertainment district they obviously get a lot of car traffic, but mostly people are coming to the area and parking in a lot anyway for the entire evening to catch a show or go to a club, so I don't think you'd lose much there.

Personally, I was wondering whether it might not make sense to make King and Queen one-way streets like Richmond, Adelaide, Wellington and parts of Front already are. Then you could run three lanes of cars (or two lanes of cars and one lane of parking) and have a transit lane running in the opposite direction on Queen, Richmond, Adelaide and King (with tracks on Wellington to support diversions as needed).

I'm not sold on the idea. It could create a situation where it just makes King and Queen quasi-highways (as Richmond and Adelaide are now) where cars race along the road, which I fear could kill some of the atmosphere. Plus, it's not exactly obvious to me how to configure the one-way streets, as Wellington, Adelaide and Richmond are pretty well configured to run in their current directions, and making King and Queen one-ways would either have two streets running parallel to each other in the same direction, or mean that we would have to change the direction of some of the existing one-ways.

I like Greg's idea of the one way streets. But I would prefer the king line to be underground in the core. I would prefer all streetcar lines withing the core to be underground.

I like the idea of a transit mall on King too, at least in the core.

The burying of the streetcars would be really expensive, and I think it might make more sense to just have a DRL.

I never really understood why this was such a big deal. The TTC and city need to get away from the idea that a ROW has to be a major engineering feet. Just paint two big fat white line on either sides of the streetcar tracks and ban on-street parking on King. Allow cars to drive in the streetcar lanes for a few seconds if necessary, but strictly enforce the law for anyone caught cruising in the ROW. No left turn or right-turn lanes either - if someone ahead of you needs to turn, it won't kill you to wait a few seconds.

This way, people can use King for local driving, but will be strongly discouraged from using it for long-distance trips. Parking can be had on side streets or in underground garages.

Or here is an amazing idea. Turn Richmond Street into a transit mall. Wow now theres an idea. Queen and King streetcars could use the transit mall for speedy across downtown service.

Or an even better idea that would totally speed up streetcar service. Stop putting stops one block apart.

If the TTC limited the stops to just major streets in the downtown core, we could speed up the services without spending any money at all.

For example. Why does there need to be a stop at Victoria Street when Yonge is a 30 second walk if that away?

Or an even better idea that would totally speed up streetcar service. Stop putting stops one block apart.

Yes. Exactly. Yonge next to Victoria, or University next to Simcoe... way way way too close together.

Or here is an amazing idea. Turn Richmond Street into a transit mall. Wow now theres an idea. Queen and King streetcars could use the transit mall for speedy across downtown service.

:rollin I don't get it. The TTC's plan was to have a transit mall on King St which is a two way street with more destinations on it but an idea you come up with is to put it on Richmond St and it is labelled as amazing by yourself?

Richmond is in the middle. So you can serve Queen and King. A King street mall would only serve King Street cars.

Plus King would still allow cars in some form. My idea would ban cars on Richmond totally.

I'd like to see the closure of the following stops:

Dundas at Chestnut, Victoria
Queen at McCaul/Duncan, York, Victoria
King at Victoria, York, Simcoe

As a Ryerson undergrad, I liked having the Dundas and Victoria stop. Where I am working now, I'm also really close one of those stops I'd consider closing.

However, if streetcar drivers call out the stops on the Queen Car, when they call out Victoria, they will usually also call out the hospital as well, so I wonder if that's the reason that stop is still there. As well, the stops at Dundas, Queen and King at Victoria are handy for avoiding crowds and getting a seat.

It seems we all agree there are much too many stops on streetcar routes (in the core, at least) preventing streetcars from being more rapid.

There also needs to be a select amount of EXPRESS bus routes over the streetcar network.

For example, there should be the 504 KING EXPRESS from Broadview Station to the CBD via the DVP. This would be run by buses, and would run non-stop from Broadview to the CBD. Peak hour service only.

The 508 streetcar branch should be taken out of service and just replaced with a 501 LONG BRANCH EXPRESS running express to the CBD via buses.

Back