News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.4K     3 

The Benvenuto

A

AlvinofDiaspar

Star: Benvenuto Reno

From the Star, condo section:

A Modernist classic
Landmark building that was once an apartment and hotel gets luxurious update as condo conversion

Meticulously redesigned suites and lobby offer beautiful views of surroundings, including a ravine
Jun. 3, 2006. 01:00 AM
DIANE TIERNEY
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

The Benvenuto, a luxury condo conversion project south of St. Clair Ave. near Avenue Rd. is a landmark building that has a special place in the hearts of many Torontonians.

In 1955, architect Peter Dickinson designed it as a seven-storey, luxury apartment and hotel with modernist lines that had never been seen in the city before.

Not only is the building a piece of architectural history, but it has long been the location of one of the city's most popular upscale restaurants, Scaramouche.

It's a place where many engagement proposals have occurred, and couples return annually to celebrate.

"Over the last 18 months, we have taken what was already a stunning piece of Toronto history — designed by the same architect as the Hummingbird Centre and the Park Plaza Hotel — and updated it to the highest level of 21st-century luxury," says Mitchell Abrahams, president of Malen Capital and developer of the project.

"Everything that set the building apart in the first place — its spectacular architecture and beautiful surroundings — are still there; but now we've brought in a team to redesign the suites, lobby and all of the functional elements, so that the building provides a modern luxury lifestyle."

With the help of architects Gordon Ridgely and Les Klein, interior designer Bryon Patton and landscape architect John Lloyd, the Benvenuto has been meticulously refurbished.

There are 116 units, ranging from pied-à-terre studios, to one-bedroom, two-bedroom and two-bedroom-plus-den layouts. They range from about 500 to 3,486 square feet, with most between 1,500 and 2,500 square feet.

Almost all units include either a balcony or terrace, with many featuring more than one. They range in price from about $350,000 to $3.5 million.

The building also features a glass-walled, rooftop fitness centre, which offers spectacular views of the city.

Round-the-clock concierges greet people at the door, while valets park their cars and a day porter offers assistance during the week. The lobby is designed in wood-panelled modernist style with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the ravine.

"There is a real love affair for this building with people who have lived here, and people who have visited residents here," says Abrahams. "They have fond memories of it. When it was an estate on the hill, William Lyon Mackenzie lived on this site, so that adds to the history of this location. It always was a luxury building and was way ahead of its time regarding its design and features."

There are only a few hill sites that offer Toronto panoramas without having to go up into a tower.

"Even the lobby view, which is on the ground floor, and the restaurant, which is on the basement level, have beautiful skyline views," says Abrahams.

"The design of the building was good right from the start. This project is something that really competes with the luxury buildings of today," he adds.

Some residents have already moved in.

"We have a wide range of options. Some units are finished and people can move into their suites in 60 days. Other suites are designer-ready and homeowners can pick their own finishes. There are also suites that are a bare shell, so people can play a role in designing the suite," says Abrahams.

Wide, shallow designs mean natural light floods throughout the spaces.

Interior choices include a long list of finishes, such as hardwood floors in exotic woods; 18-inch marble tiles in the kitchens and bathrooms; granite or marble countertops; designer kitchen cabinetry and appliances; cast-iron soaker tubs and oversized showers.

The sales centre and model suite are located at One Benvenuto Place. Hours are from noon to 5 p.m. every day except Friday. Call 416-967-7128 or visit the website at www.thebenvenuto.com

AoD

I'd love to live there but I'd probably spend the mortgage payments at Scaramouche.

I've only been once, but it was memorable. I like good service to go with good food, and our party got it. Maybe the lucky condo owners get meal tickets?

Forgive me, but what do concierges actually do? All you need is a key to get in your building, like I do with my house, surely? Beyond that, we can all make our own arrangements for dealing with the world.

And they hardly replace a manservant. I don't know what I'd do without someone to dress me every morning.

Back