Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

50-storey condo tower proposed for parking lot (toronto star)

50-storey condo tower proposed for parking lot
0932d556419b911375dfb6edc26e.jpeg

January 13, 2009
Paul Moloney
CITY HALL BUREAU

Toronto is considering redeveloping a small triangular parking lot, squeezed between the Gardiner Expressway and a major off-ramp, into something more lucrative – perhaps a 50-storey condo tower.

The review of the city-owned, quarter-hectare lot at York and Harbour Sts. is just the sort of thing the new Build Toronto agency was created to do after an advisory panel said the city could reap $150 million a year through better stewardship of its real estate.

"I believe every surface parking lot is an underuse and a poor use of land in downtown Toronto," Councillor Kyle Rae (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale), interim chair of Build Toronto, said yesterday.

With the poor economy, Rae said builders are getting rezonings in place so they're ready to go for "the next wave" of construction.

Build Toronto, a city corporation that replaces the Toronto Economic Development Corporation, is to be headed by Mayor David Miller. It will oversee Toronto's real estate holdings, valued at $18 billion, with an eye to development of underused assets. The Harbourfront-area site currently hosts a 40-car parking lot and a police vehicle impound lot.

A staff report for today's meeting of the Toronto and East York community council rated a condo tower as the preferred option. Others include a three-storey parking structure, or a 30-storey office tower.

"Condo developers find every square inch tempting on the waterfront because everybody wants to live here," said Ulla Colgrass, chair of the York Quay Neighbourhood Association.

The group hasn't developed a formal position on the idea, but local Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina) thinks it's a "pretty wild proposal" that probably won't fly with residents.

"I can tell you my neighbourhood would be appalled at the notion of a 50-storey condominium down there on that small a site."

Proceeds from development could be put to good use paying down the city's debt, suggested Councillor Doug Holyday (Ward 3, Etobicoke Centre).

A condominium project "is certainly in keeping with the zoning in place on other sites in that area," Holyday said.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/569812

why would the community be appalled?

A 50 story building here would have to be very iconic. It could not be anything ordinary.
I think there's a thread for this in the P&C forum.

Last edited:
thanks for merging Ed ~

0932d556419b911375dfb6edc26e.jpeg

please note the photo posted in the Toronto Star article above in fact shows the wrong property, while 60 Harbour Street is shown above, the property in question is 120 Harbour Street which is west of York Street (in fact 90 Harbour Street, the former OPP building sits between these 2 sites)

I really wonder how they can build a 55 story building there. The land is so tiny. It would be scary if any cars run off the ramp. The whole building may collapse cuz it's right infront of it. I think they should get rid of the gardiner first. The building on 60 or 90 Harbour Street would be a better choice since the land is larger there.

88879591br8.jpg

Last edited:
Generally they engineer 50 storey buildings to withstand the impact of a car, or even a truck, hitting them.

The Gardiner already has lots of buildings up close to it; this wouldn't be much different.

The building would partially block the lakeview of buildings to its north, wouldn't it? Ice, MLSquare?

I think it will block south view of Ice 2 judging by the location. And south east view Ice, south west view of MLS. I just think a shorter building might be better there though if they do build one. Less harm in case anything happens but then I guess people will build at any location. I even find panorama's location scary being so close to the gardiner.

I think it will block south view of Ice 2 judging by the location. And south east view Ice, south west view of MLS. I just think a shorter building might be better there though if they do build one. Less harm in case anything happens but then I guess people will build at any location. I even find panorama's location scary being so close to the gardiner.

I agree with you on Panorama; the building has no business being there. I can imagine how chaotic it'd be for the residents during demolition of the Gardiner.

Back