News   Apr 25, 2024
 220     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Sonder Hotel (was Templar, 348 Adelaide W, Rhed, 8s, Del Terrelonge) COMPLETE

May 21
I shot photos of this project when it was being built years ago and forgot about it, as well where I shot it to the point I wrote it off as completed. Boy was I wrong, as it still not complied as yet.
5745748244_2f25b1001e_b.jpg

5745198875_a31b68fea1_b.jpg

5745197961_2c75f5e6d6_b.jpg

5745197115_f6f879a3a2_b.jpg

This has to be a first.
Its going to need remedial work before it opens.
The paint is starting to flake off between the floors.

^^^ I agree. Much like my weekend renovation project that never gets finished.

In a recent issue of The Grid a week ago (the food issue), it mentioned that the Templar Hotel will be opening fall 2011.
You would think that would be plenty of time for the building to be completed... with this building, who knows?

I looked at the first thread positing and it was Sept 21, 2007. This means I shot this building back in 2006. I have to go back and pull out the CD with the photos for that year, so I can add it to the server web files.

This one has turn out to be worst than the Hakim project for length of time to build it. This put the building close to 5 years in the making so far.

Someone must have big pockets to carry the interest on this project for all that time as we being out of pocket to cover the cost on building it so far.

Last I saw, which was about two weeks ago, all of the suites looked ready, with white hexagonal chairs perched in every window while most of the construction appeared complete. Of course, it still needs remedial work on the horizontal planes between floors! However, the building looked better than I expected.

This must be a huge confidence-builder for the buyers of Langston Hall.

If they wait long enough, that building can be converted it into a retirement home.

It is funny how pix taken months apart look so similar. Obviously the business plan here doesn't require paying customers.

IMG1691-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's open now. I passed by the other night and there was someone sitting in the lobby that looked kind of like they worked there and one of the rooms above looked occupied.

From what I've heard the hotel is finished and ready to operate, they are just waiting for the fire inspection and final certificates from the City. This should be in a couple weeks.

I was at the Conversations in Design at the recent IDS and Claus Sendlinger, the founder & CEO of Design Hotels AG (which The Templar is their newest member), was one of the keynote speakers and had a really great presentation on his company and the luxury hotel industry. He was staying at the Templar during the event which is probably that occupied room you saw.
The Templar is the second hotel in Canada to be part of the exclusive Design Hotels group. Once The Templar gets going I think they will do well -- the hotel is beautiful inside, they have an innovative concept for the restaurant and guest services, and it is one of the few boutique hotels in the city and definitely the most modern and unique.

I also amazed on how they have the resources to take their time on this project.

At IDS rhed Design showed more vignettes of their next hotel project (a continuation from their display from last year's IDS), Templar Lake By The Mountain resort to be built in Prince Edward County. The display displayed rhed's collaboration with Poliform of Italy on their new line of furniture and cabinetry which are used in The Templar, Langston Hall and Templar Lake By The Mountain. It was a very large and impressive full-size mockup, but I found the design rather austere and gray.
The resort features modern glass pods as private cabins (as seen from last year's IDS display), a faceted glass boat house that will house a collection of specially designed speed boats that will generate their own electricity, and the Langston Hall sales pavilion will be moved up there and be repurposed as a welcome centre.
I can't imagine when this resort will be completed.

Back to The Templar, The Globe and Mail has some great photos of the interior, I will post those soon.

Now that Templar is ready to open, Langston Hall can finally get going. Estimated occupation date: March 2019.

Back