1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Telegram: Davis reveals Spadina super-plan

• Thread starter Sir Novelty Fashion
  • Start date
S

Sir Novelty Fashion

Some time ago, I found myself rooting around in a very big, very old building downtown, whose hidden rooms are full of some of the most remarkable treasures. Strewn across the floor of one room was a copy of the Telegram, dated a couple of weeks before it folded for good and became the Sun.

And this is what the lead story said:

-----------

Davis reveals Spadina super-plan

Wendesday, October 13, 1971

BY TERRY MATTE
Telegram Staff Reporter

Premier William Davis suggested yesterday that Metro Toronto build a six-mile subway line from Downsview Airport to Bloor St. W. and fill the abandoned 46-acre Spadina Expressway site with a futuristic housing and commercial development.

Between Lawrence Ave. And Eglinton Ave. the subway would run under a series of climate-controlled, pyramid-shaped buildings which would contain apartments, schools, stores, offices and underground parking.

The development - which immediately met with a cool reception from municipal officials - was conceived for the Government by famed U.S. planner R. Buckminster Fuller.

Mr. Davis hired Mr. Fuller last June after he decided to stop the Spadina Expressway. The decision left a prepared roadbed abou 300 feet wide and 1.14 miles long between Lawrence and Eglinton - called the "Davis ditch" by politicians who wanted the expressway completed.

Mr. Davis said most experts believe a subway should be built along the Spadina route. The subway originally was to have been built in the centre of the expressway.

The Premier said the subway should be constructed from Downsview Airport, north of Highway 401, to the St. George subway station, at Bloor St.

The subway route could still be changed, he said, and the Province would pay 50 per cent of the cost of building it.

The Fuller proposal for the abandoned expressway site - which Mr. Davis called Project Spadina - could be undertaken by Metro, Mr. Davis said.

Metro would sell the land to private developers who would construct the buildings and Metro might even make a profit on the deal, the Premier said.

But he said if Metro didn't want to take on the project the Province would buy the land from Metro and do the job itself.

- 4,000 UNITS -

Project Spadina envisions 4,000 apartment and mainsette units housing 10,000 - 12,000 people.

Terraces - or balconies - planted with shurbs on the pyramid-shaped buildings would give viewers from the east or west the impression of a slping hillside rather than a high-rise apartment project, according to Shoji Sadao, an associate of Mr. Fuller who explained the concept at a news conference.

The buildings could range from five to 16 storeys in height. There would be parking for 5,000 cars and this part of the development would cost about $64 million.

The development would contain 200,000 to 250,000 square feet of office and institutional space at a cost of $4 million to $5 million..

There would also be commercial parking for 3,500 cars which would cost $7 million.

All buildings would be joined so the entire complex could be climate-controlled. There would be direct access to the complex from subway stations and parking garages, and children could go to school without going outside.

A concept outline prepared by Mr. Fuller emphasized that densities could be changed - for example, the density of the commercial, office and institutional uses could be tripled.

- VIABLE -

Mr. Sadao said the project would still be viable if it were decided to build 2,000 or 3,000 units rather than 4,000.

"Densities can be changed," Premier Davis added. "Many things can be altered."

He emphasized that the proposal is only a concept and could be radically changed.

He said he was impressed with the environmental benefits of the development, which would include parkland and recreational facilities.

The existing Viewmount Park would be extended to the west over the abandoned roadbed.

Metro Chairman Ab Campbell pointed out that the pyramid shape of the buildings means more ground area is covered than would be the care with rectangular buildings.

Mr. Davis said he does not anticipate the development would contain public housing, but he did think it should have housing for old people.

He was asked if he had a transportaion scheme to serve more of the norther part of Metro. He said he would make a further announcement about GO train service today.

Amazing, Buckminster Fuller--what a neat connection. His ideas didn't always succeed, but at least they were always interesting.

Thanks for the article, which I assume took more than a quick cut and paste ;)

Thanks SNF - that's a VERY interesting piece.

I wonder if there are any reports on the proposal - it would be interesting to see what the actual plans for the corridor is like, and whether any of it is still applicable today.

AoD

The Telegram featured a fuzzy little cutaway illustration, but I regrettably don't have a scanner.

There was also at least one other piece in the paper on the project ("Metro Council won't buy this -- Dennison"), which I'll retype in due course if people are interested.

...which I assume took more than a quick cut and paste

Indeed. If I had copied-and-pasted it (or, indeed, re-read my clavigraphy), the article would not have included words like "wubway."

Thanks for the look back in time!

I seem to have vague memories of big parking garages being proposed which would sit above the subway line somewhere around Yorkdale. Drivers would drive off the 401 directly into a garage, then descend directly to the subway line for their trip downtown. Don't know if this was ever taken seriously.

Louis Kahn once proposed that Philiadelphia's downtown be ringed by similar garages, and private cars banned from the inner city.

^that was actually pretty common. a similar plan never happened in kitchener, as well as, thankfully, oxford, england.

I seem to have vague memories of big parking garages being proposed which would sit above the subway line somewhere around Yorkdale. Drivers would drive off the 401 directly into a garage, then descend directly to the subway line for their trip downtown. Don't know if this was ever taken seriously.

When I lived in Burlington as a teenager, we used to do this all the time - drive to Kipling and then hop on the subway.

Since the Allen is in a ditch anyways, it would be great to cover over it and turn the new land into parkland. Cars and the subway can be underneath, and a great new linear park would give people in that part of town an actual reason to leave their cars at home.

There's a huge park being built a few subway stops north of here. Instead I'd build housing on top. Would increase usage on the Spadina line.

Mr. Davis hired Mr. Fuller last June after he decided to stop the Spadina Expressway. The decision left a prepared roadbed abou 300 feet wide and 1.14 miles long between Lawrence and Eglinton - called the "Davis ditch" by politicians who wanted the expressway completed.

What was there before the ditch? Did they expropriate land, or was it a hydro/rail line/ravine?

Wow, that would definitely be an interesting project!

Here's another project that didn't see the light of day:

By MIKE FILEY

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
In an article in the Telegram newspaper on this day in 1965, the Metropolitan Toronto board of trade was reported to have thrown a wrench into city plans to build a 760-metre-long tunnel 18 metres under the Western Gap to permit bus service to and from the Toronto Island Airport.

There were several reasons for the board's rejection of the idea, the prime one being the cost of construction. The metro parks department had initially estimated $6 million, a figure the board believed had escalated to between $12 and $15 million.

In addition, it was felt that once the tunnel was in place, future politicians would find it impossible to withstand the pressures to open it for use by private automobiles.

And, as the report concluded, half the fun of getting to the island was the ferry boat ride. In fact, the report even recommended expanding the ferry service.

As far as the airport was concerned, a small pedestrian tunnel, in which a freight conveyor was incorporated, was all that was really needed.

What was there before the ditch? Did they expropriate land, or was it a hydro/rail line/ravine?

AFAIK expropriated land. That is, the same kind of mid-c20 anodyne gridded spec-suburbia that presently exists on either side of the ditch...

SNF please email me about this shawn at spacing dot ca

We're having an event at Spadina House on June 2nd -- 35 anniversary of the halt of spadina expressway. More on this soon.

Back