Toronto TCHC Firgrove-Grassways Revitalization | ?m | 25s | TCHC | LGA Architectural

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
TCHC have been quietly moving forward with a couple more community revitalization projects.

This is one of those, and is the community located just west of Jane and between Firgrove and Firgrove.

They are currently at the masterplan stage. But it appears headed for construction in the next year or two.

Existing Site:

What's in play:

New Community Concept Plan:

Housing/Building Types:

All of the above taken from this document on the TCHC website:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-05 PW3 Firgrove What We Heard_Dec 12 18 pdf.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-04-05 PW3 Firgrove What We Heard_Dec 12 18 pdf.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 550
Good to see social housing lands replaced with a mix of housing. However, I’m curious why they’re only shooting for a 1:1 unit replacement ratio for the existing TCHC housing. Surely as they redevelop they could increase the unit count a bit?

Perhaps attaching higher density and height to the eventual market development could fund it (at least partially) through increased land sale/lease revenue?

Good to see social housing lands replaced with a mix of housing. However, I’m curious why they’re only shooting for a 1:1 unit replacement ratio for the existing TCHC housing. Surely as they redevelop they could increase the unit count a bit?

Perhaps attaching higher density and height to the eventual market development could fund it (at least partially) through increased land sale/lease revenue?

Going from 388 total units on the site, to a projected total in the range of 1,076 is an increase in density of 2.7x.

I would assume the business plan is that the ceded land value pays a substantial portion of reconstruction costs and public amenity costs.

While I'd certain agree there's a need for more affordable housing; I don't think the strategy for these revitalization is to fund that or place that on-site.

The twin goals are generating sufficient funds to make replacing aging units and upgrading needy areas possible, largely on the private sector dime...........

As well as creating mixed income communities in which no one feels isolated or ghettoized because they are low income.

The modified community goes from 100% TCHC to 34.9% TCHC.

Going from 388 total units on the site, to a projected total in the range of 1,076 is an increase in density of 2.7x.

I would assume the business plan is that the ceded land value pays a substantial portion of reconstruction costs and public amenity costs.

While I'd certain agree there's a need for more affordable housing; I don't think the strategy for these revitalization is to fund that or place that on-site.

The twin goals are generating sufficient funds to make replacing aging units and upgrading needy areas possible, largely on the private sector dime...........

As well as creating mixed income communities in which no one feels isolated or ghettoized because they are low income.

The modified community goes from 100% TCHC to 34.9% TCHC.

Appreciate the response. I admit I'm not well versed in the details of these redevelopments, so I value the info.

My thinking was something like this:

-With a total of 44 floors of market development, the average unit count per floor is 15 units (conservative estimate, in reality this is probably closer to 20 if project includes ground level retail, amenities, etc),

-Increase the height of all the market buildings by 4 floors (podium and tower/setback),

-With 4 market buildings, and each receiving 4 extra floors of residential units, rough market unit increase would be 60 units per building, or 240 units overall,

-Based off the original market unit count of 700, this increase of 240 to a total of 940 would constitute a roughly 34.3% increase in market units over the original, and thus would generate more revenue in a land sale or lease,

-With 24 floors of TCHC development, the average unit count per floor is 19.5 units,

-Thus, if you add 4 extra storeys to both TCHC towers, you would add roughly 156 units. Even if you only added two floors to both TCHC towers, you'd be increasing the supply by 78 units,

-And the heights would remain pretty similar. The density would ultimately be 3.7x the current rate, compared to 2.7x in the existing plan.

Appreciate the response. I admit I'm not well versed in the details of these redevelopments, so I value the info.

My thinking was something like this:

-With a total of 44 floors of market development, the average unit count per floor is 15 units (conservative estimate, in reality this is probably closer to 20 if project includes ground level retail, amenities, etc),

-Increase the height of all the market buildings by 4 floors (podium and tower/setback),

-With 4 market buildings, and each receiving 4 extra floors of residential units, rough market unit increase would be 60 units per building, or 240 units overall,

-Based off the original market unit count of 700, this increase of 240 to a total of 940 would constitute a roughly 34.3% increase in market units over the original, and thus would generate more revenue in a land sale or lease,

-With 24 floors of TCHC development, the average unit count per floor is 19.5 units,

-Thus, if you add 4 extra storeys to both TCHC towers, you would add roughly 156 units. Even if you only added two floors to both TCHC towers, you'd be increasing the supply by 78 units,

-And the heights would remain pretty similar. The density would ultimately be 3.7x the current rate, compared to 2.7x in the existing plan.

Fair commentary and thought process.

I have no insight into what boundaries TCHC placed on the process, but I would assume ( I don't know) that they consulted City planning and the local councillor to determine what was viable.

The heights along Jane are at the high end for the immediate area, peaking at 22 floors; where the norm is mid-teens for rentals plus 1-storey retail. The interior of the site abuts bungalows.

Toronto unveils plan to replace crumbling social housing at Firgrove site

By Jennifer Pagliaro City Hall Bureau
Thu., Feb. 6, 2020

Here's a look back at the initial list of TCHC community revitalization sites, as per the 2008 Real Estate Investment Strategy.

1581098210948.png

Of these, Alexandra Park, Leslie Nymark, Allenbury Gardens and Lawrence Heights are approved or underway.

Jane Firgrove is now moving through the process.

To my knowledge, all the other sites are outstanding.

Meanwhile Don Summerville on Queen made it into the queue.

The strategy is here: https://www.torontohousing.ca/events/Documents/Archives/53102008-165AssetInvestmentStrategy.pdf

I would love to see the remainder of these sites come forward.

I would add to the list, Moss Park, and Trefann Court (simply because they have super desirable location, which should make it easier to do)

Teesdale, Cataraqui Crescent and the properties by Galloway in Scarborough.

As well as one of the communities on Tretheway. and Boultbee in the riverdale area.

3 MARSH GRASSWAY
Ward 07 - Etob. York District

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Subdivision Approval​
20 122857 WET 07 SB​