898     0 

Tanker leaks load on Toronto streets

D

dan e 1980

Tanker leaks load on Toronto streets
Jan. 31, 2006. 07:54 PM
HENRY STANCU
STAFF REPORTER

A tanker loaded with used motor oil, anti-freeze and transmission fluid caused traffic chaos Tuesday night as it leaked its load along city streets in Toronto’s west end.

The commercial tanker, which belongs to a Kitchener waste disposal firm, had started off on its route back to Kitchener at about 4:30 p.m. after it had finished pumping leftover auto fluids at a Wal-Mart on St. Clair Ave. W. near Runnymede Rd.

As the truck went on its way, however, fluids began to seep from a valve in a hose attachment on the vehicle.

The tanker left behind a slippery slick of chemicals as it weaved its way east along St. Clair Ave. W. to Lansdowne Ave., south to Queen St., east on Queen St. to Shaw St., south on Shaw St. to King St., east on King St. W. to Niagara St., and finally south to Bathurst St. where it was pulled over by Toronto police.

Several cars driving through the mess slid and lost control at three locations leading to at least three fender benders, police said. No major injuries were reported.

Many of the affected roads were closed as city works crews cleaned up the chemicals using street sweepers. Cleanup efforts lasted well into the evening.

There was no immediate word on charges.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF! anybody see this?

Reminds me of a video game I used to play at 7-Eleven called Spy Hunter which had oil slick as a defence. The amount of oil seeping out must have been relatively significant to actually cause loss of control of vehicles. Thank goodness the truck didn't get onto the Gardiner before getting pulled over. The amount of sand or absorbent materials required to clean that up must have been huge. Hopefully the company gets the full bill for the cleanup.

Spy Hunter! Yeah!! I used to play that game all the time.

This guy was pretty lucky some crazy people weren't flying a helecopter trying to shoot missles at him.

Tanker trails oil through streets
Last updated Feb 1 2006 09:05 AM EST
CBC News

A leaking tanker truck created traffic chaos across the city Tuesday afternoon after it left a trail of oil on downtown streets.

Police say the truck began its journey in the city's west end, near St. Clair Avenue West and Kipling Road, late in the afternoon.

When investigators finally found the vehicle, near the intersection of Bathurst and Wellington streets, the trail of oil it had spilled on city streets had been blamed for at least six traffic accidents.

It is not known how much oil leaked out of the truck.

The driver and the truck's owner have each been charged with one count of failure to properly secure a load.

The charge carries a $300 fine.

i don't even think they cleaned it up.

$300 ?????? :\

There's gotta be an Ernie Eves joke in all of this
eves_done.jpg

Naw. The oil that goes into Ernie's hair goes by rail via the Orangeville-Brampton Railway. That is why that line was saved from CPR abandonment, about the same time him and Bassett moved up there.

i don't even think they cleaned it up.

The steet sweepers were going crazy up and down Shaw St. that evening. I imagine it was all along the route, so yes, I do think they cleaned it up.

^ I think he is saying that the company that caused the problem might not be billed for the clean up.

$300 is a small price to pay for such a mess.

did they put absorbent on the entire spill? can a street cleaner clean it completely?

that crap is going straight into our drinking water supply. :(

i remember seeing a car accident once where the gas tank of the car was ripped open and there was a trail of gasoline going into a sewer. they threw absorbent on the gasoline (that was on the street) and that was it. they didn't even sweep up the absorbent. the area smelled like gas for 2 days. that gas went straight to the humber river.

another time, i saw the aftermath of a train & tractor trailer collision. LOTS of diesel was spilled into a dry gulley. it wasn't even cleaned up.

I don't understand why the city doesn't do a largescale cleanup and bill the company. They clearly should be held liable for this, not to mention the accidents that they caused.

Back