News   Apr 23, 2024
 315     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 540     0 

Sylvan Collection @48 Havelock St (?, 3s, ?) COMPLETE

hper

Member Bio
Reaction score
I ride or drive by this property several times a week. And have done so for a decade-and-a-half. As far as I know it has (had) a heritage designation. A preliminary 3 1/2 townhome/condo thing (including an adjacent detached home) proposal in 2006(Date?) was basically rejected, or recommended as such, by city staff. Currently it's hoarded. Can anyone shed some light on what the story is? Thanks.

Last edited:
I ride or drive by this property several times a week. And have done so for a decade-and-a-half. As far as I know it has (had) a heritage designation. A preliminary 3 1/2 townhome/condo thing (including an adjacent detached home) proposal in 2006(Date?) was basically rejected, or recommended as such, by city staff. Currently it's hoarded. Can anyone shed some light on what the story is? Thanks.

This is from the local city councillor's website.... (http://www.anabailao.com/developments)

48 Havelock Street This development site dates back to 2003. In 2004 and 2005, the developer (JDC Property Management) filed the necessary Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-Law and Site Plan application to redevelop the property. The proposal was to demolish the existing structure which contained 16 rental units and construct a 4 storey structure containing 50 condominium stacked townhouses along with 61 underground parking spaces. City staff recommended that the redevelopment of the site be refused thus JDC appealed to the OMB. On January 2007, JDC revised their proposal to include only 45 stacked townhouses and rental replacement in an effort to settle with the City and prevent a long hearing. On March 7, 2007 it was accepted by City Council. The developer has been working with Planning Staff on Site Plan Approval. They have revised their application to include 20 townhouse units with 24 underground parking spots. The revised changes need Committee of Adjustment approval in order for the project to move forward. I have held several Community Consultation Meetings with the latest one taking place on January 30th, 2013. The area residents are significantly more pleased with the current plan.

Background information can be found at: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/committees/te/te050705/it042.pdf
The OMB Decision Order can be found at: http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/english/eDecisions/eDecisions.html, with
OMB case No. PL060046 #2801

Very helpful. Thank you so much. And apologies for the tardy reply.

Seems like these are being sold at sylvancollection.com. Excavation is well under way.

Video:
http://vimeo.com/99374076

IMG_2512.JPG

The apartment complex that was there would have been a good candidate for preservation if you ask me.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,729
IMG_3314.JPG
IMG_3313.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG
IMG_3311.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3314.JPG
    IMG_3314.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,163
  • IMG_3313.JPG
    IMG_3313.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,198
  • IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,234
  • IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,102
Yeah, the minimal faux-historical reference of the yellow brick is an insult to the neighbourhood and our architectural heritage, which in this case was particularly rich.

Yeah, the minimal faux-historical reference of the yellow brick is an insult to the neighbourhood and our architectural heritage, which in this case was particularly rich.
I heard they reclaimed the brick during the demo and are putting it back in. I guess that was part of the permit agreement in an attempt to somewhat preserve the original building. Sounds like that would be very costly, so hopefully it's appreciated.

I see a number of these units on MLS. I guess there are only so many people looking to spend over $1M on a 1700 sq ft townhouse near Dufferin mall. It looks like quite a nice neighbourhood though (especially with the park), but I'm not sure if Dufferin Mall scares some people away.

Back