News   Aug 13, 2024
 306     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 943     2 

Swansea Plaza

jbcurio

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi, I was wandering through the all-but-abandoned Swansea Plaza near Queensway and South Kingsway last week. While the former locations of Shoppers and Valu-Mart were identifiable, I haven't been able to figure out what the blue-trim store below was (the labelscar wasn't readable enough). It was located to the west of Shoppers.

2378582969_166d51e3e6.jpg

Here's a picture I took back in October of 2004. At the time it was a condo sales office, although I'm not sure what was there before that either. Hope that sort of helps!

That proposed condo is fugly, but it's better than a horrible 50's suburban plaza.

The devil will be in the details here, particularly the details of the commercial space which will be located in two structures in front of the condo building, and which you will have to pass to get in and out of the condo.

I have no idea what will go in this new commercial space. As already noted, Shoppers has moved down the street to the Queensway, the CIBC has been consolidated with another branch up on Bloor and is unlikely to return, etc. Other than maybe a Sobey's Express or Rabba or some such, I'm not sure who might locate in the commercial space here.

Prediction: One of the two proposed commercial buildings will be scrapped, and townhouses will be built instead.

If it were 50s, it might actually be a halfway interesting survivor, a la Stonegate Plaza across the Humber...

Stonegate is at Stephen Dr. and Berry Rd.

In regards to the condo planned for the Swansea Plaza site - Georgian Homes has now had two dreadful condo proposals fail here.

First time - Hmm - 2005? - it was called 'The Pointe", and was a glass and precast point tower if I remember correctly. Last year they revised their plan and called it King's Way, and proposed this ultraschlock:

2401473534_5860905c45_o.gif

I am pleased to report that this plan is off the boards now too, and Georgian are planning a relaunch with the name "The Pointe" again. I wonder if they will have gotten the point and will return with a building with reasonable architecture this time?

Holy crap, must have driven by that area a 1000 times and never realized there's a plaza there!

I will have to go for a ride around that neighbourhood of apartment buildings sometime. From the air it looks like Regent Park.

Back