W

wyliepoon

Headline story in the Sun today...

Link to article

How can the TTC be fixed?
We asked 7 experts -- you'd be surprised at their answers
By MIKE KOREEN

The TTC is Toronto's whipping boy.

Too slow, not enough subway lines, long waits, too crowded, poorly funded ... the list goes on and on and on.

Of course, it's easy to criticize. It's much harder to come up with ideas or solutions to make things better.

But that's the challenge the Toronto Sun put to seven transit experts.

We asked transit consultant Richard Soberman, union boss Bob Kinnear, TTC chairman Adam Giambrone, Greater Toronto Transportation Authority chairman Rob McIsaac, former TTC chief general manager David Gunn, Ontario Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield and transit guru/blogger Steve Munro what they would do to fix or improve the TTC.

Here is a look at what each person had to say:

BOB KINNEAR

The president of the union representing TTC drivers uses the F-word repeatedly when asked how to put the TTC on track.

"Funding, funding, funding, funding," Kinnear said. "That's the real issue. Transit in Toronto has been starved for the last decade and it's operating as (one of the) least subsidized systems in North America. Until we address that issue, it's difficult to talk about anything else."

But Kinnear wasn't about to get off the hook with that little rant. In time, he came up with a few unusual viewpoints.

One of them involved something he didn't really want to talk about -- cars. He figures a good way to persuade more people to take transit is by building parking lots serviced by express shuttle buses that will whisk drivers to subway stations.

"There should be more (parking lots)," he said. "I don't know the exact number of parking (spots) at each station, but at Kipling, Kennedy and Finch, if you're not there by 7:30, you're not getting a (spot)."

Kinnear is also calling for expansion of the subway north of Toronto to Hwy. 7, near York University as well as an overhaul of the management team.

"I think we need to take a fresh look going into the future," he said. "The problem is the upper managers have been around a long, long time. They're very reluctant to (test) new ideas or change."

RICHARD SOBERMAN

The ex-chairman of civil engineering and long-time transit aficionado endorses a GO train idea for his first piece of advice to the TTC.

GO passengers buy a ticket in the station, which isn't checked when entering the train. But inspectors occasionally come around to demand proof of payment.

That system, Soberman said, could ease entry issues for congested streetcars and buses.

"Most systems use proof of payment," he said. "Why just stand at the intersection and have people piling through the front door? You have to trust some people. Instead of worrying about guys cheating the system, why not worry about your best customers?"

Soberman, it seems, is all about customer service. He advocates a fare card system for riders crossing systems, be it in Mississauga, York Region or elsewhere.

"Treat the rider as a human being, not a sardine," he said. "If someone wants to go from point A to point B, why do you have to pay once here and once there."

Finally, Soberman wants more right-of-way routes for transit vehicles and he doesn't necessarily demand barriers for the roads.

"There is a problem of enforcement, but I don't think you need physical barriers to enforce the laws," he said. "There are digital cameras you can place at the front of the streetcar and with a push of the button (by the driver), you can generate respect for the law and this kind of change."

ADAM GIAMBRONE

The new chairman of the TTC is not living in the '70s. That's a good thing because he recognizes the need to make improvements to the system's brutal website.

"(The key) is adding new features, like being able to buy passes online and having a trip planner."

Giambrone would like to emulate Chicago's trip planner. Enter your starting address and finishing location and, presto, the site will tell you how to get there.

Speaking of technology, Giambrone wants real-time electronic boards in bus stations, like VIVA operates in York Region. The boards would tell passengers, to the second, how far a transit vehicle is from the stop and whether there is a delay. Giambrone also likes GO's e-mail system, which informs riders of any delays on their usual routes.

On the roads, Giambrone believes the TTC needs to expand its network of LRTs, a way of moving people around faster for much less money than new subway lines.

ROB McISAAC

The former mayor of Burlington sees the St. Clair right-of-way as the better way. Now, he wants the TTC to use that model elsewhere.

"Ultimately, the (TTC) should allow you to traverse the city in a far more effective way than the current situation," McIsaac said.

In a perfect world, that would mean more subway lines and stations. McIsaac knows that is an expensive proposition, but the best transit systems have far more than three subway lines.

"You look at places like Madrid, London and Tokyo, they have vast networks," he said. "We've got a long way to go."

Because he has Burlington roots, it's not surprising that McIsaac stresses the importance transit for the entire GTA.

"From a user point of view, to go from Toronto to Mississauga or York Region should be pretty seamless," he said. "You should be able to get around the regional city more easily."

DAVID GUNN

Don't bother asking Gunn how to fix the TTC. The straight shooter won't touch that question because he doesn't see a need for a massive overhaul.

"In Toronto, you're always trying to remind people that you're part of the least subsidized major transit system in North America and probably Europe," Gunn said from his retirement home in Cape Breton. "There are those who say it's bad, but I don't think it is. Given the financial problems in the city, it's damn lucky to have an affordable, economical system."

Having said that, Gunn never was one to rest on his laurels. He thought way outside the box for one potential project -- add two cars to subways to bring them up to eight cars and expand the size of the stations.

"It's going to be expensive to lengthen the platform, but ultimately you're going to have to," Gunn said. "The only way you can add to the Yonge St. line capacity in the short run is to lengthen the platform."

If Gunn returns to Toronto for vacation, he'll cringe at the streetcars that are covered by exterior advertisements. When he was the boss of Philadelphia's then-graffiti filled transit system, he ordered new buses with fresh paint schemes and no exterior ads. Suddenly, graffiti wasn't as much of a problem. Needless to say, Gunn isn't a fan of too many ads on transit.

"They cheapen the system," he said. "I fought ads on the subway system all the time. You don't want to overdo it and make the thing look like a circus."

DONNA CANSFIELD

The provincial transport head honcho knows the TTC isn't perfect, but she feels the commission took a big step in the right direction late last year when Giambrone took the chairman's post.

"He's certainly open to suggestions and he will work together with others to find solutions to challenges," Cansfield said of Giambrone, who replaced Howard Moscoe. "It's a welcome change and I'm very impressed with him. He'll do the chairmanship justice."

Cansfield is a supporter of fare cards and also thinks more hubs (like Union Station) with various transportation options (trains, subways, buses streetcars, other transit services) are important in the growth of the TTC.

Still, Cansfield does not believe the TTC can become a flawless service overnight.

"You have to remember what's happened in the last decade (with low funding)," she said, pointing out her government's $1.8 billion commitment to the TTC. "It's been difficult to catch up. There had not been any investment in infrastructure."

STEVE MUNRO

Before the TTC can start expanding, Munro figures the system should get its own house in order. Munro, who writes a blog on the TTC (stevemunro.ca), said he hears complaints from riders regularly.

"The only way to gain a political constituency for anything, especially for funding, is that people like the product you are providing," he said. "I get some e-mails and feedbacks on my site that are real horror stories about botched operations, huge gaps and inadequate service, and these are not just rants from people who will never be happy."

The theme of doing the best with what you have is Munro's main message to the TTC. He says all the talk about right-of-way lanes is just talk and not reality.

"It's not going to work on most streets in Toronto and the TTC has to make the service work with the road space we have available," he said. "This is the classic TTC dodge of claiming that whatever the problem, there is nothing they can do."

As for funding, Munro doesn't recommend knocking on Prime Minister Stephen Harper's door.

"Queen's Park and Toronto have to get back to funding transit on their own hook," Munro said.

Having said that, Gunn never was one to rest on his laurels. He thought way outside the box for one potential project -- add two cars to subways to bring them up to eight cars and expand the size of the stations.

"It's going to be expensive to lengthen the platform, but ultimately you're going to have to," Gunn said. "The only way you can add to the Yonge St. line capacity in the short run is to lengthen the platform."

It would cost at least as much as a DRL to lengthen every station on the line, and it wouldn't bring any improvement at all to the level of service, including coverage and frequency.

I agree. Did he pitch that idea when he ran the MTA or SEPTA?

Otherwise, I like his anti-wrap stance. The buses wrapped for friendly and safe Mexico and the stations wrapped for Crapwest Global are a disgrace. What happened to the regular ad inserts they had on the side of the bus below the windows and at the back? I don't see those any more, and having them on a lot more buses instead of some wraps is much more pleasing.

Asking Bob Kinnear how to fix the TTC is like asking Conrad Black about business ethics.

"It would cost at least as much as a DRL to lengthen every station on the line, and it wouldn't bring any improvement at all to the level of service, including coverage and frequency.

The idea of building a whole new subway line is just so foreign to this city right now that it truly boggles the mind.

My mind is going to boggle...it's boggling...there, it's boggled.

I'll tell Bob Kinnear how to fix the TTC: Scrap the union.
Overpaid. Underworked. Red Taped. That's the TTC today thanks to the overly powerful union. Remove that and you've got the beginnings of a transit system able to breath and look to the future.

Well, you'd have no union. Could you maybe elaborate on how the rest would follow?

Yeah, I've heard of suggestions to get rid of old mill, or chester, or glencairn, or summerhill...

With no union, the TTC could begin reducing staff where it is not necessary, while paying its employees fair and competitive wages, not the over the top cash grabs the union is blackmailing the TTC for currently.

Oh no. What have I started?

ATU 113 and Bob Kinnear makes unions look bad, and I agree in some aspects there needs to be some more flexibility - even Buzz Hargrove (whom I dislike as well) realizes this when he goes up against the "Big Three". I would not suggest that the TTC get rid of the union - just think how hard this would be.

I am still awaiting Bob's punishment for his criminal act last year.

The new chairman of the TTC is not living in the '70s. That's a good thing because he recognizes the need to make improvements to the system's brutal website.

(The key) is adding new features, like being able to buy passes online and having a trip planner."

For the chairman of the TTC to answer the question this way, I hope the newspaper had cut out other obvious improvments that he had suggested. Because if this is all he could come up with, then uh oh.

Well, it is the Toronto Sun.

Though I think the website is in a way symbolic of the TTC's problems - it has few features, hard to navigate, still largely inaccessible. Revamping of the website would also be symbolic to a degree. Perhaps that was the point Giambrone was making.

And I don't think there are many redundant jobs at the TTC, so I don't think getting rid of a union will help with this. The TTC has enough trouble getting and keeping bus drivers, for example, as it is.

"And I don't think there are many redundant jobs at the TTC, so I don't think getting rid of a union will help with this. The TTC has enough trouble getting and keeping bus drivers, for example, as it is."

uhh, how about the semi-retarded guys manning the rush hour fare boxes in subway stations. i saw one of them slouched in his chair staring into space today when i went to buy tokens (cash only, no debit option, no credit card option)

It would cost at least as much as a DRL to lengthen every station on the line, and it wouldn't bring any improvement at all to the level of service, including coverage and frequency.

Aren't the new subway cars supposed to be interconnected like the accordion-looking streetcars? If it's possible to to get from one car to the next then the need for additional cars significantly deminishes. Usually for YUS it's the end cars that see the most traffic while on BD it's the complete opposite. Modifying trains is alot cheaper and smarter than rehauling the whole system.

The idea of building a whole new subway line is just so foreign to this city right now that it truly boggles the mind.

I'm assuming you mean a Don Mills line to Warden/7. You should try to convince the naysayers half the YR commuters of YUS originate from this area.

why would you get rid of union?

I agree with Metro, their jobs aren't that overly complicated. Why should we bleed the system at their expense? Yeah lets sit idly while the system crumbles wayside while they autonomously put the city on lockdown whenever they please :rolleyes !

Yeah, I've heard of suggestions to get rid of old mill, or chester, or glencairn, or summerhill...

How does lessening the accessibility we already have improve ridership volumes and overall influx of revenue into the system. How does 10 secs per stop effect the relative speed of a commute so damn much? Adma think express lines ;) !

Revamping of the website would also be symbolic to a degree. Perhaps that was the point Giambrone was making.

I wonder how far a revamping could take us? Say if Toronto Maps and the TTC websites awere fully integrated, not just linked, someone could type in an address and get an exact route coordinance down to the name of the closest bus stop.

uhh, how about the semi-retarded guys manning the rush hour fare boxes in subway stations.

I know for certain many people cheat the system counting on their ineptitude, preoccupation and lethargy :lol .

when i went to buy tokens (cash only, no debit option, no credit card option)

The big red dispensers should have a credit/debit option but certainly not at the fare booth, the flow of traffic entering a station during AM/PM rush is hulted enough without adding that to the mix.

"I'm assuming you mean a Don Mills line to Warden/7. You should try to convince the naysayers half the YR commuters of YUS originate from this area."

I mean any new line...hell, any new extension that's not Spadina to York/Vaughan gets rejected as impossible. Even major new real light rail lines are ignored.

Back