News   Mar 28, 2024
 991     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Summerhill Market (1014 Bathurst St, Bolt Developments, 2s, ?)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
More info:

http://www.canadiangrocer.com/new-store/summerhill-market-ramps-up-expansion-87309

20191019_084429.jpg
20191019_084134.jpg
20191019_084148.jpg

Last edited:
This is really interesting. I'm not sure there's a more upscale grocer in the city than Summerhill, they're making a big bet on the (very) west Annex; I'm wondering if they're in part banking on a significant gentrification of the area brought about by Mirvish Village, and trying to get ahead of the curve before the rents spike.

Excellent find; good article and good news; providing they don't let quality slip.

Of note, another store near Eglinton and Avenue is set to open as well and that will compete w/the nearby Health Butcher.

There's some interesting moves going on in this town in the high end grocery space.

Whole Foods has paused its growth.

Pusateri's after a significant expansion, walked back its Oakville store.

Healthy Butcher got merged/folded into another burgeoning grocer.

Big Carrot has added its Beach outpost (anecdotally appears to be underperforming)

Big Carrot was rumoured to be contemplating a western outpost in the City as well.

Organic Garage has continued its slow march with a Leaside outpost due to open early next year.

Excellent find; good article and good news; providing they don't let quality slip.

Of note, another store near Eglinton and Avenue is set to open as well and that will compete w/the nearby Health Butcher.

There's some interesting moves going on in this town in the high end grocery space.

Whole Foods has paused its growth.

Pusateri's after a significant expansion, walked back its Oakville store.

Healthy Butcher got merged/folded into another burgeoning grocer.

Big Carrot has added its Beach outpost (anecdotally appears to be underperforming)

Big Carrot was rumoured to be contemplating a western outpost in the City as well.

Organic Garage has continued its slow march with a Leaside outpost due to open early next year.

Who acquired Healthy Butcher?

And don’t forget Cumbrae’s. The Bayview location is like a small grocery store, and I believe there is a joint store opening with Sud Forno (Terroni) at Yonge and Montgomery soon.

And there’s my personal favourite, although truly expensive, the Harvest Wagon in the five thieves at Summerhill.

Who acquired Healthy Butcher?

Fresh City

And don’t forget Cumbrae’s. The Bayview location is like a small grocery store, and I believe there is a joint store opening with Sud Forno (Terroni) at Yonge and Montgomery soon.

Bayview store is great, would like to see one of that caliber downtown. Their Queen West space is not as substantial as Bayview.

And there’s my personal favourite, although truly expensive, the Harvest Wagon in the five thieves at Summerhill.

Great spot, didn't mention them merely because I'm unaware of any plan for new locations. They are a special kind of fussy on their produce, which I appreciate. I'm not sure
I'd want another location as I'm not sure that level of quality is sustainable.

Summerhill's expansion is not hugely surprising after they were unable to get approval to expand the main store on Summerhill Ave, and also had cost issues doing it.

They also built out a huge commercial kitchen in the DVP and Lawrence area I understand.

Bathurst is an utter disaster. Shabby decrepit buildings, cheap windows/doors, narrow concrete sidewalks, ugly lamp posts, a jumbled mess of wires, no greenery, nasty parking machine, a road full of cracks and patch jobs, and then TTC streetcar wiring as well. This street didn't have a chance. Not an attractive square inch to be found for blocks.

Will ever be a place you want to step foot in? Just seems unfathomable sometimes.

Last edited:
Bathurst is an utter disaster. Shabby decrepit buildings, cheap windows/doors, narrow concrete sidewalks, ugly lamp posts, a jumbled mess of wires, no greenery, nasty parking machine, a road full of cracks and patch jobs, and then TTC streetcar wiring as well. This street didn't have a chance. Not an attractive square inch to be found for blocks.

Will ever be a place you want to step foot in? Just seems unfathomable sometimes.

Lack of greenery is true but it has good bones though!

And all of what you described is what creates space for (what I presume) is cheap rent, which allows for a wide range of odd stores along Bathurst up here and why I bet this place does just fine.

Lack of greenery is true but it has good bones though!

And all of what you described is what creates space for (what I presume) is cheap rent, which allows for a wide range of odd stores along Bathurst up here and why I bet this place does just fine.
In a few years, this area would be gentrified (and high rents would follow).

In a few years, this area would be gentrified (and high rents would follow).

The area is already gentrified, really (as evidenced by the very existence of this thread, a commentary on one of the most upscale grocers in the city planting its roots). On this and the next block, you've got Flur, one of the nicest flower shops in the city (and one of the most beautifully designed retail spaces of any kind in Toronto) and two other flower/plant shops across the street from it; a brand new cafe a few storefronts down from Summerhill; two contemporary art galleries; a number of restaurants; and a brand new apartment building at 1000 Bathurst (not to mention this section of Bathurst is bookended by Victorian-laden neighbourhoods).

I think it mostly just feels un-gentrified because, as others have pointed out, the streetscape has been entirely neglected by the City and, I think, because there's very little greenery. It might not (yet) be the Ossington strip or West Queen West, but it's already fairly well on its way, a trend that will surely be yet further ushered along by a completed Mirvish Village just down the street in a few years.

Summerhill Annex is open per a FB post yesterday:

Now Open! ? ?? Welcome to the NEW Summerhill Annex. ⁣
⁣Come visit our soft opening weekend where there are some NEXT-LEVEL specials you have to see to believe. Open 8:00 am - 8:00 pm everyday.

Back