News   Apr 24, 2024
 969     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Suggestions for Christmas / Seasonal charities ?

TonyV

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello gang.

Yesterday, just one day after Hallowe'en, I was approached by a toys-for-charity bunch while I was grocery shopping. I got a bit upset and responded "too early for this". Maybe I reacted too harshly but I first of all wanted the time to consider where I will place any charity efforts/giving, this year.

Does anyone have a suggestion or two about the most beneficial "Seasonal" charities? The anonymous nature of charity giving is always a thing for me, and we hear about scams …

Thanks!

CAMH Foundation's gift giving scheme.

Full disclosure: I volunteer and donate to CAMH.

still, as good a charity as any.

Hello gang.

Yesterday, just one day after Hallowe'en, I was approached by a toys-for-charity bunch while I was grocery shopping. I got a bit upset and responded "too early for this". Maybe I reacted too harshly but I first of all wanted the time to consider where I will place any charity efforts/giving, this year.

Does anyone have a suggestion or two about the most beneficial "Seasonal" charities? The anonymous nature of charity giving is always a thing for me, and we hear about scams …

Thanks!

I'm a fan of toy drives. Every kid should have a nice surprise under the tree. A few years ago, my wife and started making a ritual around buying toys for drives, then telling each other what we bought over Christmas breakfast, as if they were gifts to each other. Tip: Ask the drive organizers if they have any special needs, eg. toys that are good for 12 year boys. I understand that they can get overloaded in age/gender categories if the donations are totally random.

Also, don't forget to do something that will help grown-ups , too.

Any of the city's hospitals, I'd say. Also, the Regent Park School of Music is a good one - they provide subsidized music lessons for children in need (and how much you pay is based on family income). Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier. I would have suggested attending the Junior League of Toronto's Tea to Help Teens (teenagers in shelters are often forgotten during the holiday season as toy drives tend to focus on younger children). However, the organization also accepts online donations (just choose Tea to Help Teens in the drop down).

DISCLOSURE: I am a member of the Junior League.

Back